Bad reception

Hello.

I have a normal (i.e. not satellite) T.V. here in the UK that is experiencing electrical interference. It only happens at night and as there is nothing in the house that only turns on at night, I can only concur that the interference is from outside. I've fitted a filter and a signal booster but it has made no difference. Apart from getting an electrical engineer in, is there anything I can do ? Any equipment I can hire ?

SPG

p.s. Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Reply to
Stephen Gray

Perhaps your central heating is only turned on in the evening?

Perhaps you don't watch TV during the day?

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Hello.

The central heating is on all day and we've watched during the day to make sure it's only the evening.

SPG

Reply to
Stephen Gray

Sorry, then, because a central heating thermostat is usually one of the favourites.

You need to determine where the interference is coming in, is it via the mains, via the antenna, or directly. I'd suggest removing the signal booster as it's likely to aggravate the problem.

Could it in any way be a failing at some internal part of the TV?

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Stephen Gray wrote on Wednesday (28/01/2004) :

No point in fitting filters, if you don't know what you are trying to filter out. No point in boosting the signal, if your signal is already strong. The booster would also amplify both the signal and the noise.

The only way is to find the source and fix it. Is the interferance constant, at a constant level or does it vary? Try turning everything off in your home except the TV. If that fixes it, then turn things back on until the problem returns. Try a battery powered portable TV, to see if you still see the problem, if so it is likely mains bourne. It might also be a fault in your TV.

Can you hear interference on a portable radio? Take a walk round your local area with the radio to see where the noise appears to be loudest.

Finally (assuming you are in the UK), if all else fails, then get in touch with OFCOM, who recently took over the duties of the RadioCommunications Agency (RA). They do though often charge a fee of around £60.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I had this problem recently with my cable connection. Did not effect the high speed internet but every night about 7 pm the snow on the screen would start until it was almost unwatchable. Only on my big screen and it is the closest to the cable box out side.

I suggest you remove all your filters and boosters. I suggest you check to see if the incoming cable lead from the antenna and antenna is grounded. If so replace the lead from the antenna to the TV. That is what I finally did and it solved the problem.

You could have a ham radio near by. Look for large antennas on the roofs. or maybe a crank up one in a back yard.

I hope this leads you to a solution.

Reply to
SQLit

You haven't described the interference- if you could that may help a diagnosis.

Also, are you in a built up area (ie other houses close by) or are you miles from any neighbours?

Reply to
Brian Reay

don't happen to have a local citizens band or ham radio guy? the hams will probably work with you if it's really a problem with their radio. not sure about the CBers. 50 mhz or so is the biggest problem.. i really don't know what the channel arrangements are in the UK. good luck, sam

Reply to
sammmm

Are your neighbors experiencing similar interference?

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

Without a description of the interferrence, it could originate from just about any source.

Since it only happens at night, the first suspect would be co-channel interference resulting from a distant TV channel coming in only at night and interfering with the signals from your local station. This type of interference is generally characterized by a number of horizontal bars appearing in the TV picture.

Then too, if the interfererence is more random, such as random white or dark spots appearing in the TV image, it could originate from a source in your home, or a local industry that only operates at night when electricity cost are generally less expensive.

Then too, you could simply live in a crappy TV reception area, where the signal from your favored TV channel simply fades out at night, and you see random noise from your TV set's front end.

If you describe the symptoms of the interference, someone here could probably help you. Until then, your guess as to the cause is likely as good as anyone's!

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

You might also check with the station. They may be changing power output or antenna patters at night. This is often done for license reasons. You may be on the fringe and the change drops you off the edge.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

In fact, the worse thing you could have near you is known as an "M3" licensee. These people are so ignorant that they are regarded by real radio hams as nothing more than jumped-up CBers, and for this reason they are known as , "M3/CB Fools Licensees".

These are people who have been given Ham Licences without first having proved any technical capability. If one of these is giving you the trouble, then you're on your own! (Regrettably)

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Is it possible that you have a digi-box coming in via a co-ax (and not a Scart) and the output frequency has been set close to Channel 5?

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

.....and does the interference decrease with increasing time?

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Thanks to all the replies - I'll check everything suggested.

Regards

SPG

Reply to
Stephen Gray

I had the same problem for months........Ended up being a guy down the street with a CB radio and a huge power amp.

He would not budge on his power output, so i ended up moving to Sky tv, just to get a reception at night....

wish there was some sort of law for this thing.

Chris.

Reply to
Chrissy B

There is. It's called OFFCOM and they will check the interference and do something about it.

apparently.

SPG

Reply to
Stephen Gray

In article , Chrissy B writes

There is - the RA (or Ofcom now) should investigate this for you, and if it really is a CBer with a huge power amp he would be prosecuted (power amps are not allowed on the CB bands). If it is an amateur radio operator, he could be prosecuted and/or have limitations placed on his licence to prevent him using the frequencies/powers that are causing interference. In any event, a radio operator should not be causing you interference, and you can get the authorities to back you up on this - especially if he is causing problems for other neighbours too. How well this will go down with your neighbour is a matter for you to decide - it isn't unknown for this kind of thing to cause vendettas.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh