Google goes Satellite

If you haven't checked out maps.google.com yet, you should. Not only does the map capability totaly rule compared to everyone else (realtime dragging around of the map - no refresh needed), but they just added satellite capabilities courtesy of their child company Keyhole. You can zoom down to within a few city blocks of your address (in popultaed areas). If you think this is cool, I've seen the standalone Keyhole software zoom in even closer, down to a few meters. It is seriously cool...

Here is a picture of the WhiteHouse...

Markus

Reply to
Markus Wankus

"Markus Wankus" a écrit dans le message de news:QWv4e.4355$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

You may check Nasa world wind

Nice too, no need to be online.

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

Very Cool! Thanks. Yeah the Keyhole software also has no need to be online, and I think is better resolution, but it is not free (and not cheap). This is neat, thanks for the link.

Markus.

P.S. I forgot to post as OT this morning...sorry.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

How current are these pictures are they static or are they updated periodically. I just checked out my house pretty neat.

Reply to
CS

Yeah, google is sharing some kewl technology. Looks like the images are fairly recent (populated urban areas) or within a year old from what images of areas I viewed. Where as, some of the remote (rural) areas are a mix of old and new images.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Very cool... thanks for the heads up!

MT

Reply to
Mike Tripoli

Very cool.

Only one thing though - when I drag to look at another part of the world, nothing but ocean. Does this mean USA is going to go it alone completely in the future and paddle it's own boat?

Come on Google There are other countries out there. Probably not down to resolution for USA but there must be satellite imagery that has some detail.

Reply to
Neville Williams

Google Maps is a Google service offering powerful, user-friendly mapping technology?including business locations, contact information, and driving directions?to anyone searching for results in the United States and Canada (more locations coming soon).

M.

Neville Williams wrote:

Reply to
Markus Wankus

I figure since my friends house was built a year ago in a new suburb and it is still a plain field and no earthmover tracks there I would guess 1.5 to 2 years old. Trying to figure out some known dates of new buildings and then see if they are on the photo, I will update when I can close in on a date.

Ben

Reply to
Ben

My house is as it was in the fall. I wonder how often they update it....

Dan

Dan Bovinich

People with larger buildings and land could advertise with this for free.......It would be pretty funny anyways

Corey

Reply to
CS

The top of the building looks like it's been retouched for security reasons. If you look at 1 Observatory Circle, Washington DC, the entire area within the Observatory Circle ring road has been seriously pixelated.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Bset I can figure for Calgary Alberta the Picture was done June or July of

2003 as there is a new highway bridge under construction on County Hills Blvd, it was just poured in the photo and that was in June and july of 2003, now I have to find some more specific details to narrow it down, gonna see if I can pick the day it was taken, maybe (since I have friends at the ariport) by the arrangement of planes at the airport I can get it within the hour...?

Ben

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Ben

I think you have too much time on your hands. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

No just geek to the bone. Such geeky goodness, this satellite imaging!

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Reply to