Desperately seeking a simple wattmeter.

I want to audit the power consumption of the lighting in the house.
I suspect the labelling of globes and timer power usage to be suspect.
I need a simple meter to put between the power socket and the lights to test consumption.
Please help
Peter Jason wrote:

You appear to be in Australia, but need to confirm so that those that might propose things to buy know what not to suggest..
In the UK, it is possible to purchase a plug-in power meter for <20GBP (eg from Maplin).
If that fails:
Those loads are purely resistive. You can get the power consumed by purchasing a clamp multimeter and making a short extension lead with each (insulated) conductor available to clamp. Clamp the "hot" wire, read the current, multiply by the supply voltage (which you can also measure with the same meter) - the result is the actual power consumed in watts. In the UK it is possible to buy an (AC) multimeter for <20GBP, also.
Good luck. Be careful out there - joules in the wrong place can ruin your whole day...
--
Sue

message

Thanks, I'll try. Will the clamp method work with fluorescent globes, TVs and electric timers?
pj
Peter Jason wrote:

No. Only with purely resistive loads such as incandescent lamps and heater elements.
--
Sue

On 1/1/08 2:51 PM, in article fleg6v$2crj$ snipped-for-privacy@otis.netspace.net.au, "Peter

In the States, there are plenty of energy (watt-hour) meters on the surplus market for about $US 5 to 10. Shipping could be more.
I bought an old watt meter and current transformer at a swap meet for the same purpose. It has been a few years and have not got it set up.
Bill

If you're in Australia try Jaycar Electronics (http://www1.jaycar.com.au/ ) Cat No. MS6115. Cost is AUD 39.95 and it should do what you want and more.
regards Barry

Thanks I found one there called a "PowerTechPlus Functional Energy Meter" MS-6115. It seems to work too.
Regards, pj
Peter Jason wrote:

Try this link -
http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html
Don't know if they have configurations for all electricl outlet types.