Desperately seeking a simple wattmeter.

I want to audit the power consumption of the
lighting in the house.
I suspect the labelling of globes and timer
power usage to be suspect.
I need a simple meter to put between the
power socket and the lights to test
consumption.
Please help

Reply to
Peter Jason
You appear to be in Australia, but need to confirm so that those that might propose things to buy know what not to suggest..
In the UK, it is possible to purchase a plug-in power meter for
Reply to
Palindrome
"Palindrome" wrote in message news:fIzej.212444$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.news.easynews.com...
Thanks, I'll try. Will the clamp method work with fluorescent globes, TVs and electric timers?
pj
Reply to
Peter Jason
No. Only with purely resistive loads such as incandescent lamps and heater elements.
Reply to
Palindrome
In the States, there are plenty of energy (watt-hour) meters on the surplus market for about $US 5 to 10. Shipping could be more.
I bought an old watt meter and current transformer at a swap meet for the same purpose. It has been a few years and have not got it set up.
Bill
Reply to
Salmon Egg
If you're in Australia try Jaycar Electronics
) Cat No. MS6115. Cost is AUD 39.95 and it should do what you want and more.
regards Barry
Reply to
Baz
Try this link -
Don't know if they have configurations for all electricl outlet types.
Reply to
tom.blanford
Thanks I found one there called a "PowerTechPlus Functional Energy Meter" MS-6115. It seems to work too.
Regards, pj
Reply to
Peter Jason