50hz appliance on a 60hz net

hello there,

i wonder if it is worth to take the laundry machine i bought in france (220/230V 50Hz) back home to brazil (220V 60Hz). will the different frequency damage the appliance? as far as i understood there's no converter for the frequency.

thx p.

Reply to
Paula

Ask the manufacturer, either by post, email or phone. Other people can guess, some can make an educated guess - but it still will be a guess.

My guess is that it wouldn't last long, even if it did run. Motors in such units tend to be made to a price and have short enough lives even at the right frequency.

Reply to
Palindrome

Most european washing machines use Universal motors because of the need for complex speed control, and these won't care about the mains frequency. If the machine has a mechanical timer/controller, then the timed parts of the cycle would be 20% shorter.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel schrieb:

With the motor running at line frequency the product rpm x time would be the same :-)

-UP

Reply to
Udo Piechottka

Check with the manufacturer. The EU has standards. Follow there recomendations. Perhaps you can work a trade-in in Brazil. Some of these manufacturers have world-wide distribution. If you are still in France. Check with the dealer there first. No since shipping the thing to Brazil if its not worth the freight.

Reply to
David Wright

| i wonder if it is worth to take the laundry machine i bought in france | (220/230V 50Hz) back home to brazil (220V 60Hz). will the different | frequency damage the appliance? as far as i understood there's no | converter for the frequency.

How much does it cost to ship a single unit? Hint: it's a lot more than it costs for the manufacturers to ship a whole boat load (literally) full from wherever they make them. Compare that cost to buying a proper unit back in Brazil, hopefully of the same manufacturer, vs. the resale in France. Add in the cost of crating it properly for the voyage, plus insurance or risk of damage.

Personally, I would not have considered it worth it enough for anything I cannot personally pick up and carry for myself ... to even get to the point of working the numbers.

For a clothes dryer, there is a specific rotation speed needed for the drum and the motor is usually an inductive type that depends on the frequency. However, I am told by someone that sells multi-standard appliances in the USA, that many dryers have two positions for a belt drive on the drum and motor with one belt position for 50 Hz and one for 60 Hz. Presumably the motor can handle either frequency in such a design. If you have a separate dryer, you might check into this.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

But if moving permanently, as my brother-in law did some years ago*, all your belongings go into a standard container. I then doesn't cost any more to add a washing machine.

He's still in Canada 30+ years on,

Reply to
charles

Not with a Universal motor for the drum.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel schrieb:

Yessss

Reply to
Udo Piechottka

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:16:20 +0000 (GMT) charles wrote: | In article , | wrote: |> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 15:12:01 -0800 (PST) Paula wrote: | |> | i wonder if it is worth to take the laundry machine i bought in france |> | (220/230V 50Hz) back home to brazil (220V 60Hz). will the different |> | frequency damage the appliance? as far as i understood there's no |> | converter for the frequency. | |> How much does it cost to ship a single unit? Hint: it's a lot more than |> it costs for the manufacturers to ship a whole boat load (literally) full |> from wherever they make them. | | But if moving permanently, as my brother-in law did some years ago*, all | your belongings go into a standard container. I then doesn't cost any more | to add a washing machine.

You don't crate up the heavy stuff inside the container? I'd think if stuff shifts around, the heavy stuff will crunsh the other stuff.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

hi all,

thanks a lot for all your comments. there's a chance i'd have to hire a container to send my other things anyway, and (only) in that case i'll consider to take the wash/dryer machine with me. i still didn't get a good answer from the manufacturer about this issue, but i will keep trying... this kind of appliance is amazingly more expensive to buy in brazil (i'd like to understand why, sometimes they can be 3 times more expensive the same model) that's why i consider taking it. but if i manage to send/carry the other things without a container, then i will just resell...

p.

Reply to
Paula