Do I need a ground bar kit?

I'm installing a 50amp (14-50) receptacle and it's going to be protected by a 50amp GFCI breaker which is in a 70amp Square D load center(which only has 2 slots) . The load center only has 3 terminals, there's no ground. This might be a dumb question but does the grounding cable have to go through the GFCI or can I run it right to the receptacle so I wouldn't have to install a grounding bar? Does the GFCI breaker actually have a place to connect the ground or is it just the 2 hots and neutral?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

GFCI breakers only need the phase and neutral connections. Equipment grounding is another conductor. The equipment ground should still be connected to the enclosure and be separate from the neutral so if you can't make that happen with the existing terminals you will need the ground bus.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

You must be installing a spa. You will have to have an isolated neutral and if there is not an equipment grounding bar, get one of those and connect the grounding conductor to that. No problem.

Reply to
Blue Crown

Or just make the grounding wire extra long and wrap it around the 10-32 chassis grounding screw before terminating it on the receptacle. The GFCI doesn't use the ground, but its curly white wire goes to the neutral in the supply cable. Receptacle neutral goes to the neutral hole in the GFCI breaker.

Reply to
SueMarkP