Drop Ceiling and codes ?

I have to look above a drop ceiling in a commercial office building we are thinking about leasing, Are there any codes that apply to what's above the ceiling ? Are there any common violations I should be aware of ?

Thanks

JJ

Reply to
JJ

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:10:08 -0400, JJ put forth the notion that...

In addition to all the pertinent sections of the NEC, there are quite a few code requirements in the UBC as to proper support of everything above the ceiling. Significant changes were made 5 or 6 years ago as to the support of conduits (in most cases they can no longer be supported by the same wires that hold up the ceiling grid. This may not be a problem though if they were installed according to the code in effect at the time. Make sure that any 2X4 drop in fixtures have separate support wires independent of the grid supports, and that the drop-ins are also attached to the grid at each end.

Reply to
Checkmate

Call your local building officials and ask for a inspection before signing the papers. If the leaser as an issue with it then find another building. California rules are different than the ones in Iowa.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Chris Johnston