ceiling in shop

I am installing a ceiling in my pole building and would like some
advice. My ceiling will be 12 feet high....Right now OSB board is way
too high...I was thinking of installing metal, like the outside of my
building....has anyone had any bad experiance with a metal shop
ceiling... I can't think of any reason it would give me trouble...but
I thought I would ask BEFORE I buy it..
Thanks
Bruce
Reply to
Bruce
condensation could be an issue with metal unless you insulate well.
Reply to
Jeteye
I put a suspended ceiling in both my wood and metal shop. Easy to install, instant finished ceiling. Allows easy future access for adding/moving electrical, plumbing, air lines etc. I got surplus lay-in flourescent fixtures from a second hand building supply. Home Depot sells Armstrong suspended ceilings. Helluva lot easier than hoisting, taping, texturing and painting sheetrock. And you could have it done in a couple days. Really the way to go in my book.
Marty
snipped-for-privacy@bpla.com (Bruce) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:
Reply to
Marty Escarcega
WHY do you want a ceiling? For heating/air conditing, for hanging lights, for looks, for hanging heavy stuff? Different uses would use different ceilings.
Reply to
Nick Hull
My shop has a steel roof and a 5/8" Gyproc (Sheetrock?) ceiling with R-40 insulation in between. We rented, for one day, a spaecial gadget for lifting the Gyproc into place. made the job a piece of cake.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
Ted Edwards wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@telus.net:
Probably a drywall lift? These things are a real life saver for ceilings. Not real cheap to buy, as Ted says, better to rent for a day or two.
Reply to
Jim Kovar
I need a ceiling in order to install heat and insulation. I live in Upper Michigan and winters are long and cold!!! and I want to use my shop all year round.
I am leaning toward metal sheeting with either blown in insulation or pole barn rolls which are six feet wide by six inches deep by sixty feet long. Since my building is 30 feet wide, the pole barn rolls might be easy to install...I may not get around to doing my walls this winter, I don't think I will loss too much heat through the walls if those are not insulated this winter...what do you guys think??? I plan to just heat it when I am in it. The rest of the time, I will leave the heat off ( 100,000 btu gas modine)
Shop is used mostly for welding and metal fab....alot of tinkering and sanctuary from every day stress...
Reply to
Bruce
snipped-for-privacy@bpla.com (Bruce) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:
The last shop that I built up here is a pole barn. For the ceiling I used 7/16 Blandex with 15" of blown insulation over it. For the inside, I walled it with 5/8 Blandex with fiberglass insulation batts behind it. Don't forget to ventilate the attic space above the ceiling. I'm heating the shop and the house with an Energy King wood boiler installed in the pole barn. The house already has hot water heat, so it was easy to connect to the wood boiler. The barn has a 100,000 BTU Dayton air handler. Firewood is plentiful up here. Unfortunately, none of this was cheap, but seemed the best way to do it. Works well to at least 20 - 25 below zero.
Where are you located up here?
Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi
Reply to
Jim Kovar