re thinking garage/ceiling in shop

I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these activities will it ruin it?

I ordered a book on drywall and am going to go through it before I make a decision but I appreciate any advice.

One thought, would a suspended ceiling work good in a garage?

Reply to
stryped

--Step #1: make sure that drywall was made in the US of A...

Reply to
steamer

I've seen painted drywall used as an exterior porch ceiling where it held up for many years. Washing the floor/car occasionally would not be a problem. Since you've never worked with drywall, renting a manual drywall lift will make the job a lot easier. Use a screwgun and mark the joist locations. Add framing perpendicular to the trusses to reduce the span.

Reply to
ATP*

They used to make plastic covered - wood grained - like panels - for shops. I had it in our first house - back in the early 70's. Might be a fad. It was nice - no tape and bed - finished sides. No paint no mess... Could hang plastic wall paper on the drywall - water proof the board a bit from spray...

Mart>> I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

If you're really worried use waterproof drywall. Usualy called green board or blue board depending on where you live it's for bathrooms. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

This is like putting water on your newspaper before you read it. Don't use water on drywall or newspapers - the result will be a f&&&ing mess.

Reply to
everybody

If you're really worried use waterproof drywall. Usualy called green board or blue board depending on where you live it's for bathrooms. Karl

Reply to
charlie

Than what should I use?

Reply to
stryped

Teach your dog not to piss in the garage?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You could just put up the drywall and then cover it with the cheapest steel siding you can find. It would be painted, water and fire resistant in one fell swoop...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

stryped fired this volley in news:5b2dec48-10c5- snipped-for-privacy@l35g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

Use several coats of gloss enamel on any kind of drywall you want. If the moisture is infrequent, and the bottom edges are protected from dripping (like plastic baseboards caulked well to the wall and floor), then you won't have any problems. Drywall can't stand constant moisture (even the moisture-resistant variety), but if the surface is fully sealed with a thick membrane of waterproof paint, it'll take the occaisonal wetting with aplomb.

How do you think you wash a dirty wall?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:Xns9CA9A21CCE3AAlloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

BTW... this assumes a proper tape-and-joint finish. You can't get away with this with open joints.

LS

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:56:38 -0400, the infamous Leon Fisk scrawled the following:

I that case, use OSB. It's much more water resistant, you can hang stuff directly from it without a stud behind it, etc.

-- The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, if you have a reason to spend to put one up... You can NOT plan on getting up through it often for attic access, since the tiles will fall apart. But if you have a 9' plus ceiling it makes lighting a lot easier. You can go get 2X4 drop-in troffers and just drop them in and wire them up - and if you move the machines you can move the lights.

The acoustic tiles are fire resistant and do cut down on noise, but they get dirty easy.

The vinyl-faced 1/2" x 2'x4' Drywall panels they use for restaurant kitchen ceilings are fireproof, but heavy - you better have the grid braced and supported properly.

Greenboard is water resistant - it will hold up longer than regular.

If you want true water resistance without putting up ceramic tile you install greenboard, then a layer of the textured Fiberglass Paneling on top - the stuff they use for restroom and restaurant walls. And get the extruded edge moldings to finish the joints and corners. If all the edges and corners are properly caulked, that will stand up to frequent scrub-downs and the occasional pressure washing.

-->--

PS: Charlie, don't put a SigLine Cut (dash dash space return) before your text. It breaks real newsreaders.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

stryped wrote: Would painted drywall be

ruin is relative, but "welcome to mess and mold world". or, in a best-case scenario, 'water stains world'. my vote would be for either 'tile backerboard' or cementitious siding (do they make that stuff yet in 4 x 8 sheets?). you know, like hardieboard?

it would, *if* you 'enjoy' going through another layer of complexity when hanging (lofts, screweyes, chain hoists, ladders, bikes, sleds, and other garage things) from your ceiling.

wash your car in the driveway (far simpler) AND use drywall. personally, I'd measure where all the studs are, then chalk-line them ALL after the drywall is up. makes hanging things later much simpler...

good luck :-)

YMMV :-)

Reply to
dave

lots of good answers personally would use the fiberglass sheets over the cement board myself also as far as the suspended ceiling there is a fiberglass rail system for that also ran across it years ago while building a commercial freezer for a previous employeer if you use it though save yourself some money and buy whole sheets of the panel material and cut the tilers to size yourself

Reply to
DANCBQ