Running electrical conduit horizontally along wall ?

My compressor is about 30 feet away from my electrical panel. I'm thinking about running a conduit about waist high on the outside of the drywall from the panel to the compressor. I could run the conduit along the ceiling, but it is 16 feet up and I would have to rent a scissor lift. (I'm afraid to go up on ladders that high.) Are there any safety or code related problems with running conduit horizontally along a wall?

Reply to
AL

Why bother?

Buy a 50 ft extension cord of suitable size, cut off the female end and wire it directly into the compressor.

Install a receptacle at the panel.

Plug in the compressor when you need it, otherwise keep it unplugged.

I run a 5HP, 240V, 2 stage compressor this way.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"AL" wrote in news:FLYnc.23670$z06.3966910@attbi_s01:

No problem with that at all. IIRC As long as the compressor is within sight of the breaker box, no disconnect at the compressor is needed either, although it is generally accepted practice to install one.

Reply to
Anthony

Hey Al,

No problem with that in Ontario.

Take care.

Brian Laws>My compressor is about 30 feet away from my electrical panel. I'm thinking

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Not in BC. In fact, here you don't need the conduit in a residential property if the run is five feet or more above the floor. I don't know about commercial property.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

What you might want to consider is running it at normal ceiling height or higher around the room and then dropping it down at the compressor. That way it'll be out of the way instead of right at the point where a workbench or shelving may need to be against the wall. You could do that with a step ladder instead of having to reach all the way up to 16'.

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).

Reply to
Keith Marshall