EE wanting to become electrical contractor - go or no go?

Hi,

I'm a 33 year old electrical engineer who is thinking about a career change. I live in an area that does not have too many options for typical EE work, and my current telecom job seems to have run its course. I think about the best thing I could do at this point to be able to stay in my hometown is get my electrical license and start my own electrical business. Most people with knowledge of the construction industry in our area have told me to go for it, and that there is plenty of work to be had for a good electrician. One of my old professors of course said that it would be a waste of my engineering degree, but I can see myself getting into the higher-tech side of smart homes, home automation, structured wiring, home theaters, and all the design side that goes into this new tech, and not just pulling Romex every day. Of course I'll pull Romex to pay the bills too.

Anyway, I just can't bring myself to go back into another job at a factory that will in the next few years surely be moving overseas. I see starting my own business as a way to actually be in charge of my future, and I see a broadbased electrical business as a stable and interesting career that I can grow hopefully into something great.

Any advice on this? I live in GA and I think my degree and work experience designing, supervising the build, and turning up industrial control systems and machinery electrical systems for 2 years should be enough to qualify me to take the AL exam, but I won't know for sure until I send in my application. Anyone have any ideas on whether I'll immediately get shot down since I haven't been working as an apprentice for the last 4 years?

Thanks Chris

Reply to
throbbinnut

You can hire a journeyman who can guide you on the nuts and bolts. The real problem is the business part. If you can't handle the estimating, cost containment, government and labor issues you will just go broke.

You might also figure out you just hate the electrical contracting business. I would go work for a contractor or two and learn somerthing about this business before you jump off a cliff you can't climb back up. If you can handle the business part you might be best off partnering with a juorneyman or master who knows everything there is to know about electrical parts but couldn't run a lemonade stand. That is a lot more common than a lot of folks without small business experience would believe.

Reply to
gfretwell

Regarding getting a licence, the first step would be to find out what the rules are for the state. You can probably find who regulates the industry through Google and may find the regulations. Else call and find out.

As an example, I have heard that most of Pennsylvania does not require a licence.

Minnesota requires a contractor licence (bonding and insurance) and the employ of a master electrician to do electric work. For the journeyman test 4 years are required, I think 2 of them working with the tools under the supervision of a licensed electrician. But an EE can take the master test with no experience then work as an electrician. There are different licences and requirements for low voltage (home automation).

I've run across 3 EEs working as electricians, and they seem to be happy.

You will probably find a steep learning curve to pick up the codes. Probably didn't even hear about them in school. But in power wiring they are critical to shock and fire safety. The suggestion to work with a journeyman or master is a good one.

Bud--

Reply to
Bud--

I've found out the requirements, and I'll probably be OK with the experience I've had plus the EE degree. When I was doing machinery design, I actually used the NEC because we had to size wires correctly, motor overloads, etc. We didn't cover it in EE, but heck, we didn't cover PLC's, relays, etc. in class either - I learned all that stuff working in the dept. electrical shop and through my time in industry.

I'm going to start this business on the side, so I can't partner up with someone just yet. I have contacted one of the electricians I used to work with and he said he'd be more than willing to start something up with me on the side, so his experience will help out a lot. As for the business side, I've definitely got some learning to do, but I can do it.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
throbbinnut

I think Bud has a bigger point than you're getting; the nec isn't the be-all end-all. The 'authority having jurisdiction's opinions/interpretations are. When you get into it, you'll probably even find differences from county to county. Its the little things that will kill you in contracting, and having someone who's been around can be invaluable. Bear in mind I'm not trying to discourage you at all. The true value of a good contractor is his ability to gracefully navigate the local protocol.

Reply to
John Ray

OK.

Just hold your nose and say these two words:

LAW SCHOOL.

I have known some pretty stupid folks who got a law degree and went on to make good money (more than the vast majority of EEs.)

Reply to
John Gilmer

Law School? No way. I'm not going to get in league with Lucifer just to pay the bills. :D

Chris

Reply to
throbbinnut