Jump starting a calculator

I have a HP48 calculator that I haven't used in about two years. It was working fine when I took the batteries out. I need to use it again. I took a pencil eraser to the contacts, although they looked clean, and put in new batteries. It is still flat lined.

Reply to
Kilowatt

Post this over at comp.sys.hp48 . Someone will be able to help you. The only thing I can think of is to push the reset button(hidden under one of the rubber feet). Also, try pressing ON + . The calculator may be coming on but with the screen dimmed all the way.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

three options - new battery screen set, system halt 1) and 2), and memory reset

new batteries --

press and release "on"

if screen then comes on blank, press and hold "on" and press and release "+" several times until you can see the characters

system halt --

1) press and hold "on" , press the "c" MENU key, release both keys

or if the keyboard isn't responding

2) looking at the back of the calculator - remove the top right rubber foot to expose the reset hole; insert a paper clip into the hole and hold for one second and remove; press "on"; then press "on"-"c menu" and release as in 1)

memory reset -- after you tried the above and it doesn't do it (reset removes any equations, etc. you ever entered ) -

press and hold these three keys simultaneously : "on", "menu a", and "menu f"; then release TWO menu keys and hold the "on"

to finsh the memory reset, release "on", to cancel reset, push "menu b" then release "on"

once you've initiated memory reset, a screen will come up and ask if you want to try to recover memory - press no to reset all memory and go to as-shipped factory state, press yes to try to recover anything you stored.

Reply to
hob

Thanks for that very detailed explanation. I tried them all but still flat lined. Thanks snipped-for-privacy@charter.net When replying by email please leave this signature intact.

Reply to
Kilowatt

and you are starting it without a card in place, and you have swapped out the first set of new batteries with three new fresh batteries and you have checked that they are arranged for 9v?

if so, it sounds like you have lost the software completely and need to have it reloaded (from HP, I assume).

intact.

Reply to
hob

I tried with and without a card. I don't have the card in at the moment. I do have a fresh set of batteries with proper polarity. It does not show any display what so ever.

How can I reload the software? I do have a serial cable for it but how can I transfer software without being able to use the calculator?

TIA snipped-for-privacy@charter.net When replying by email please leave this signature intact.

Reply to
Kilowatt

1) The screen contrast setting being too far off can also give what appears to be a blank screen e Press and hold "on" and press "+" several times to increase contrast until characters appear. 2) Try a keyboard test which verifes by sound - that should tell you if the problem is display or power/software

- press and hold "on", press and release the "d" key, release "on",

press and release the "e" key. Then start at the upper left corner and press and release each of the 49 keys one at a time - each key should emit a beep.

No beep - send it into have it fixed (bad wire, battery connection, etc.)

the repair number in my manual is 503-715-2004

I just checked the website listed in the manual and it is apparently is no longer valid - but a check on the web at

came up with the following HP link

try

I see where the webpage also suggests that if you can't get a display using the contrast adjustment or the resets, you can leave the batteries out for

48 hours and try it again.

I assume the same way they load it at the factory when it has none to begin with?

Based on what the manual says, it sounded like the HP 48 has loaded software, and the service center reloads it.

intact.

Reply to
hob