Electric Range Wiring Upgrade 3 wire to 4 wire.

I have an electric range wired with a three conductor circuit. My new range has the option for a separate ground conductor. Can I run fourth
insulated conductor adjacent to the existing 3 wire romex so that I may have a separate ground and neutral from the panel? I would also change the plug to 4 wire. US NEC code would apply.
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

First be sure you don't already have it. You said "romex". That would require an insulated neutral, even with the 3 wire setup. There may be a bare wire in there going to the box and the white going to the receptacle.
Just three insulated wires as far as I can tell. The wiring dates from 1980. The conductors are in a plastic jacket.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

     There is a bare wire in any Romex from the 70-80s. It may be cut off near the jacket. Can you pull up enough slack to strip it back? If so splice in a pigtail with a split bolt (you only need a short stub for that) and do the same at the panel end if that one is cut off.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040507000208070308000803 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
I will look close to see if that is the case. If not, can I just pull a green insulated ground conductor alongside the original and seperate the neutral and ground at the range?