Electric Range Wiring Upgrade 3 wire to 4 wire.

I have an electric range wired with a three conductor circuit. My new range has the option for a separate ground conductor. Can I run fourth insulated conductor adjacent to the existing 3 wire romex so that I may have a separate ground and neutral from the panel? I would also change the plug to 4 wire. US NEC code would apply.

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

First be sure you don't already have it. You said "romex". That would require an insulated neutral, even with the 3 wire setup. There may be a bare wire in there going to the box and the white going to the receptacle.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just three insulated wires as far as I can tell. The wiring dates from

1980. The c>>
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

There is a bare wire in any Romex from the 70-80s. It may be cut off near the jacket. Can you pull up enough slack to strip it back? If so splice in a pigtail with a split bolt (you only need a short stub for that) and do the same at the panel end if that one is cut off.

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**