Electrical cars

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

The fact is, as you admit, that all cars depreciate and depreciate completely. Because your choice is perhaps a popular car it may depreciate more slowly but depreciate, it will. I don't care what $20K car (in this case electric commuter) you drive, the depreciation is going to be substantially larger than tags and insurance; way more cash-flow too. You've said nothing to refute me.
--
Keith

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My last vehicle was given to me because it needed a new radiator. $124 later it was fixed, and I've driven it for six years. The price included overnight shipping.
prove it.

Is it an all-electric commuter? ;-)
--
Keith

krw wrote:

No, a 1987 four cylinder Ford Ranger with a crappy aluminum radiator.
prove it.

For some people, it may not be as much of a problem as you think. I know plenty of two (or more) car families where one car could be a dedicated short-range commuter vehicle. It won't be practical for everyone, of course. Among my co-workers, the EV will probably be the other car since some of our work requires 50-100 mile trips to a client's site on top of the 10-40 mile commutes.
That's not counting the effect of Central New York winters on battery range and a general lack of supply (and demand) for a public charging infrastructure.
Mike

I think most 'two-car families' would end up with three cars under your scenario. Two electrics for the two adults to drive most days and a third for longer trips. Heck, to get to a decent book store I have to drive 30 miles each way.

For that situation, a small alcohol-fueled heater or something makes sense. Then just an electric fan to defrost the windows. Of course, windshield wipers would take there toll.... :-)
daestrom
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:05:53 -0400, "daestrom"

Yup that is the plan. I bet in the end most families would figure out it was cheaper to rent a "long trip" car than to own one.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Then, given the cost of an automobile, I would say electric vehicles are useless. Few are prepared to have two sets of wheels, one for <50mi. and one for >50mi.

The golf courses I'm familiar with have gas carts for everyone. Most golf courses are <50mi. ;-)

Why would the insurance companies subsidize another liability? Are you proposing that they be forced to?

I have *no* use for a car that only goes 50mi. and then needs to rest for 10Hrs. I don't care if there are recharging stations every 50' and electricity is free. I don't think an F-150 is the perfect cross-country vehicle either, though I'm 600mi; from home with my Ranger right now. ;-)
--
Keith

Jean wrote:

Declassify the documents seized by the government after Tesla's death and utilize his power broadcast technology.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
says...

Umm, you're in the wrong group. This is alt.ENGINEERING.electrical not ALT.CONSPIRACY.KOOKS.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

When it comes to who was the greatest inventor of the twentieth century, I pick Tesla over Edison. If you think I'm pulling your leg about the seizure of Tesla's papers after his death by the US government, look it up for yourself. Tesla actually did research on wireless power transmission and had some success. Of course, these days a modern mad scientist would be slapped down by homeland security if he/she/it tried any of the wild huge experiments done by Tesla. I would suggest that you study the work of Nikola Tesla since our modern electrical power systems are based on his great ingenuity.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Biography_of_Nikola_Tesla/Later_years
http://members.tripod.com/RandyHiatt/Teslapage.html
[8~{} Uncle Monster
says...

Perhaps true, but I had nothing to say about Tesla.

You don't believe in physics, eh?

He wouldn't get slapped down, rather slapped into a loonie-bin. He was quite nuts.

I know Tesla's accomplishments quite well, thank you. OTOH, I would suggest you call your shrink immediately. You need help.

Whoopie! Still doesn't make you any less of a nut-job.
--
Keith

You do not know physics.
What physics you know would fit into a thimble, much less a 100W lamp "bulb".
Bwuahahahaaha!
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4220889.html
snipped-for-privacy@crackasmile.org says...

You're the one who believes that a 100W light bulb puts out less heat than a 100W heater, Dimbulb. Physics surely isn't your long suit, if you have one other than showing that you're always MassivelyWrong. You and your "Uncle" are quite a pair (of technical illiterates).
--
Keith

I never said that... EVER! You stupid fuck.
snipped-for-privacy@crackasmile.org says...

Did I ever mention that you're a liar too. Dimbulb?
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Nut job, I'm not a nut job. I have papers from the state hospital that say I'm OK. Isn't that right you cute little talking envelope. Go on, tell everyone I'm not a nut job. .................He's a little shy.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
says...

<snip>
At least there is a sense of humor lurking in the nut-job. ;-)
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Working around the world in the electrical and electronics fields for 35 years will do that to you. It will happen to one day kid. You will learn not to take yourself so seriously.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:32:23 -0500, Uncle Monster

He's not a kid... he's an old, retarded ditz!