electrician and NEC Calculators

24 free online JavaScript Calculators.

Gerald Newton
| 24 free online JavaScript Calculators. |
I see you got yourself a nice domain name, again.
I've been meaning to hack on your voltage drop calculator to add more voltage systems to it. I assume you'll want a copy back of what I do to see if you want to retrofit.
Reply to
phil-news-nospam
Help your self Phil. I am 62 and before I go I think I am going to release the whole cabut with no obfuscating, that is if I get a warning. The voltage drop calculators do not do the ac component but follow the State of Washington Journeyman's test and the news letter from the chief that requires the use of: VD=(2*K*L*I / CMA ) * multiplying factor where multiplying factor is .866 for three phase three wire, .5 for 3 phase four wire and 1.0 for single phase and DC For wire sizes larger than No. 2 the AC component does add some impedance. But in general, the vd calculation is an approximation anyway and as you already know, is not required by the NEC for general use branch circuits. Also by using k=12.9 for copper and K=21.2 for aluminum the conductor's temperature is assumed to be at 75 degrees C which is a conservative temperature. On one job the corps of engineers used a 70 foot rule for No. 12 copper wire that required increasing the wire size one for every 70 feet. For my next project I think I will write a a raceway fill calculator that does cable and individual conductors and does fixture wire sizes down to No. 16. When I wrote the first one it took six weeks, but now I think I can do it now in 3 weeks using JavaScript. On the domain name, I think all the single word domains are taken. Anyway it seems that way.
Reply to
Gerald Newton
"Gerald Newton" in news:V96dneamwd9OMF_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:
snip
i didn't lookover your site much, but it looked as if the above details aren't noted (? or i missed seeing the notes)
have you submitted url to calc links sites?
your blog: "I need to get back to writing programs and checking out the motor branch circuit program more. These programs do hundreds of thousands of combinations and it takes a lot of time to gain confidence that they work right all the time."
that background feeling of TERROR with some calcs and programming :-)
Reply to
no