electromagnet power control

dear people I have a few gel filled 12 volt batteries that are rated 7 amp hour. iwould like very much to know if there would be a way to combine 4 of these
for a field power supply and be able to regulate the amperage and volts as needed. i am trying to power approximately 8 electromagnets and would like to keep the amps down. the amps seem to go way out of range on only one coil.i have seen these magnets by themselves draw high amps off these batterys in all types of arrange ments. i am not very privy to the type of electronics needed to do such a thing. But would try to put together something if someone could help with a schematic, w/ a few explanations. I am trying to keep it simple. i would very much appreciate any insight available.
jp wrote:

Yes. You'll have to post the specifications you need to get a detailed reply.
Ed