Fluke DMM recommendations?

Have been using Fluke 73 and 77 handhelds in the field with good results. But for Christmas I think I'd really like a backlit display under certain
conditions.
I see that the 87 is a common model. How many rev's have there been? It's now 87-V. What's the difference between all of revs? (I might go for a used one, so I'd like to know how they differ...)
Other models? I don't need any fancy features such as frequency or duty cycle, just basic VOA and maybe C. But it must be Fluke (tried a good Chinese meter but found couldn't adjust to its design quirks), LCD, backlit, and use common batteries (no proprietaries). 3.5 digit is OK.
Suggestions? Recommendations? Testimonials?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@bogusdomain.net
DaveC wrote:

The 87 is an excellent choice--accurate, rugged, all the right features. I've had one at work and one at home for well over a decade--no problems. I especially like the 4-1/2 digit option.
Cheers

Think you'll find the Fluke *is* a Chinese meter...;-)
--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:16:13 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

All of my Flukes, including my very nice new 8845A, say "made in USA."
ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/MadeInUSA.JPG
Are any of their low-end things actually Chinese?
Everybody else - Agilent, Keithley, BNC, Wavetek - are selling their names and shipping Chinese junk. The low-end Tek scopes are made in China, but I think they're still Tek designs.
John

I got a flier from an electronics company the other day with some Fluke models on special offer and that said they were made in China. They could have been wrong, of course - you'd need to see the actual unit to be sure.

Just because it's designed/made in China doesn't make it junk. They are perfectly capable of making high quality stuff as well as rubbish. You need to blame the brand name if they allow crap to be sold using their logo.
--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave is right, China usually make junks and rubbish but that is for their others brands and factories and they do have quality stuff but these Chinese "business model" is different from Japanese when it comes to "brand power" and marketing, just because Fluke is Made in China doesn't mean it has gone bad as it still a Fluke US engineered designs, I have been using my US made Fluke 12 over 16 years and it is still good and prime so the end note here is Made in China label is not the question, it is the brand that is the core issue here.
Choong
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

London SW

I second that, the robot produced computer cards for example seem very well made to me.
Cheers ........... Rheilly P

I got a very good Nicholson 40 W @ 230 V soldering iron that said "made in USA" I recently got a nytech www.nytech.de digital camera, which was ade in China, and is excellent, Pentax lens, sony CCD, aluminium die cast body, excellent pictures. Most things now are made in China anyway, the better of 99% of my computer parts:-)

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

A lot of people are rebranding the Array boxes...
http://www.array.com.cn/yq-3400e.htm
http://www.berkeleynucleonics.com/products/model_645.html
http://www.keithley.com/products/pulsepatterngenerators/arbwaveform_function_generator/?mn390
http://www.picotest.com.tw/product03.html
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start &q=http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5968-8807EN.pdf&ei ZBSbvnMpGYsAOIo7ifBA&usgQjCNGOy0OeBDaV3zd0vzAUnHeYAvFmqw
I haven't used their arb, but their benchtop DVM (aka Keithley 2100) *is* junk.
John
John Larkin wrote:

http://www.keithley.com/products/pulsepatterngenerators/arbwaveform_function_generator/?mn390
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start &q=http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5968-8807EN.pdf&ei ZBSbvnMpGYsAOIo7ifBA&usgQjCNGOy0OeBDaV3zd0vzAUnHeYAvFmqw
My old Metcal MX500 soldering iron is made in USA, my new one is made in China. They are made to look the same when viewed from the front, but the casing has been redesigned on the new one and I suspect that the internal circuitry would probably have been cost-reduced as well - there were quite a lot of nice parts used inside the old one. So far the only problem with the new one is there seems to be a magnet in the stand that somehow shuts off the heating when the iron is in the stand. It reheats quite fast, but not quite fast enough for me. I might remove that magnet. I think it might have been done because they offer a warranty on the tips, and we have had quite a few fail and be replaced under warranty. Perhaps they are trying to extend the tip life to cut their warranty costs - just my guess.
Chris
On Dec 19, 5:36 am, John Larkin

The Fluke Chinese "market test" started with the experimental Fluke 19 released in the Asia Pacific market. Used the same chipset as the 87 at the time, and offered unbelievable value for money. It was too good to be true, most Fluke 19's failed with all sorts of problems. They learned a few things from that and the 110 series is now a lot better, but still made in China.
They 170, 80, and higher models are all still made in the US last I checked. Fluke have been careful to keep their Chinese meters separate from their US made meter range. Only the US meters have the lifetime warranty.
Dave.
In article

I'd not agree. They don't have any *obvious* differences. Most makers who do a pro and hobby range use different colours, etc.
--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

David L. Jones wrote:

I just skinned the holster off my Fluke 115 that I bought last winter at Sears on a US trip ( Sears USA has *much* better tools than Sears Canada, included the true laser distance meter that I picked up last year) and all the meter says on the back is "Designed in USA" - which I am sure means "Manufactured in China". Might not be a high end meter, but it doesn't feel flimsy and it's really very good at verifying that the wall plug is still 60.00 Hz and that a fresh battery is around 1.5 volts. It's certainly better than the 15-year-old Radio Shack multimeter that used to be my bench meter...I seem to have good luck with these things, I still have a 40 year old analog meter I was given as a kid.
Bill

My Fluke 8012A, 45, 87, 89-IV, and 12B dvms all say "Made in the USA".
However, my Fluke 62 ir thermometer says "Made in China".
Bob
--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==

BobW wrote:

That could be the protective Porcelain for the sensor, or am I missing something?
;-)
--
Adrian C

Not much difference between the models. Improved accuracy is the main thing, and LCD displays have gotten better (bigger digits, better contrast, better backlight). The latest 87-V has a slightly different "look" to previous models.

Stick with either the 70, 170, or 80 series. Do not touch the big 'data logger" 189 model, they are power hogs and chew batteries in no time. Don't know about the new 289.
There is big market for used items on Ebay. Some good bargains to be had.
Dave.
DaveC wrote:

Get A 289, you won't go wrong! :)
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5 "