Fully Variable Speed Control Unit for Lasko 2155A Window Fan

rote:

It's using other words to explain other other words.

Never watched Cheers!...? That old TV vehicle for Ted Danson, Kirstie Alley and Kelsey Grammer? Eddie Lebec was the Canuckiadian goalie that Carla was involved with for a few episodes.

RicodJour

I did find that. Cheapest VFD at a glance was $325. Although I don't see why they should be. Maybe these things are too specialized to be made cheaply.

It's a fan and there's little I can do about its design. It must be quiet and that is partly why I want full control over the speed.

------------------------------------ One problem with using a solid state voltage controller (fairly cheap in small sizes) is that you have to set the minimum possible speed to some reasonable value in order to avoid stalling/overheating. It may not be quiet enough at that setting. Depending on the nature of the controller that is built in , there could be a problem if the built in controller was set to its lowest setting and the external controller limit was set for the case of the built in controller at a higher setting. in any case using an external controller, might not give you any advantage over the lowest speed setting built in.

There is also the possibility that the manufacturer is covering its legal ass.

Don Kelly cross out to reply

Reply to
Don Kelly

Whoosh! ;-)

I've been trying to forget that series. 'Gilligan's Island' was better. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Correction, Evan, the OP (as it happens, that's me) wants information, information which you refused to provide outright. So Evan, f*ck off.

Reply to
Martin Levac

Already covered. :)

Reply to
Martin Levac

e quoted text -

de quoted text -

I think the point is that you initially did not seem very receptive to the suggestion that there is not a practical solution to your problem given the constraints you placed on the solution. Pont could have been made without calling you a troll though.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

quoted text -

I think the point is that Evan initially did not give a f*ck about the subject and decided then and there that it was useless to even try to give me the information that I asked for. I've had a lot of experience with smart asses who will simply not give proper advice and the only advice they will give is "don't do it". Even is just one more smart ass. Well, f*ck him.

Reply to
Martin Levac

I just want to say thanks for the reply and effort. I appreciate it. That goes for the other useful posters too.

Reply to
Martin Levac

newsguy.com:

te:

ote:

ide quoted text -

Movng on. I presume you've gotten all the information on the subject now. Or do you still have questions? And what's your plan next?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I got all the info I wanted I think, thanks. My plan is to stick with what I got and look for a bargain VFD or a window fan with the feature I want. Thanks again.

Reply to
Martin Levac

e quoted text -

Umm... You want information on something which does not exist for the application and device you want to redneck-engineer...

Rather than accept that INFORMATION and try to find another way (i.e. not in a window mounted, speed controlled [with the control cord mounted] fan) to accomplish your desire to move air quietly you continue to ask pointless questions and balk at the fruits of your own explorations as costing too much...

That sir is the textbook definition of trolling...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Accusing others of being a troll is a defining characteristic of trollish behavior. Another defining characteristic of trollish behavior is the total uselessness of the contribution to the discussion. It seems therefore that you have some introspecting to do, Evan.

Reply to
Martin Levac