Variable speed fan

I am in the UK. Can anyone recommended a 6 inch (150mm) window-mounted extractor fan for a kitchen. Good value is important as I'm on a
budget.
I want a fan that is not too noisy or too powerful as the kitchen is small (under 30 cu metres).
Could I use a variable speed controller like this one http://tinyurl.com/25sx9v with any fan?
Or does the fan have to be of a certain type? For example, able to run at slow speeds, have a certain number of "windings", use a particular method of starting, or whatever.
------
My old fan was 255cu m/hr (35W) and it was claimed the noise was 49 dBA. It was quite loud (1800 rpm) and too powerful.

I once used a stock standard DIY shop extraction fan, connected to a dimmer designed for inductive loads.
Worked totally flawless for a very long time. (sold the house - probably still working)
Fan was quite loud at full blast, but whisper silent at ~30% duty. I used it in the bedroom for ventilation, so quitness was nice to have.
--
- Ren

John wrote:

Your link page not found. If you only need to quieten the fan down you probably dont need a controller at all, see http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title n_Speed_Controller and http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Droppers You'd only need one reduced speed, so just one capacitor (&bleed R)
NT
remove the X to answer