Fuses and branch circuits

The answer in the UK is that branch circuit fuses (BS1361) have a higher breaking capacity (16.5kA) than fuses used on appliances (BS1362, 6kA).

So if you used a BS1362 fuse in a branch circuit which had a prospective short circuit current greater than 6kA, then the fuse might fail to break the current flow on a short circuit resulting in serious damage (or fire) in wiring, and/or the fuse might explode damaging the holder, because you are exceeding its breaking capacity.

I don't know for sure if the reason in your case is the same.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Why are some fuses not rated for use on branch circuits? I'm looking at using a 3 amp midget fuse and it says "not designed for branch circuit use".

Thanks.

Reply to
Jim