generator

Charles,

Sorry for the belated response. I have not researched the various codes. I do not doubt that there may be codes or guidelines that suggest, recommend, or mandate double pole - double throw switches to connect generators to a customer's low voltage system. In most cases, the issue is to prevent damage to the generator itself or the associated wiring and equipment in the event it inadvertently attempts either to back feed a dead power system or to prevent an out of phase synchronization with a live power system.

While the protection of utility personnel may be mentioned, I do not believe that this is a relevant point. My recollection is that the OSHA requirement for personnel safety mandates that conductors in a system of above 480 volts be tested and grounded before any work commences unless hot line techniques are employed. This means that the type of switches that a customer may or may not employ for generators have no bearing on the safety of utility personnel. In reality, who would trust their life to devices where an uneducated customer was responsible for the installation and maintenance and which in any event have no visible break to allow inspection to insure that they are open. We arrange elaborate assurances to confirm de-energization for personnel protection with interconnected electric utilities who know what they are doing (visibly open switches, locked, tagged, grounded, and guaranteed to remain so). Why would any rational and competent utility trust an even well intentioned customer with a portable generator and a plug or switch?

Regards,

John Phillips

Reply to
John Phillips

Tom,

I would be interested in any references for your assertion. If any utility workers were killed, there has been a huge cover up in the electric utility industry where I work. If they were killed, they were in violation of OHSHA and most electric utility safety practices that require that they treat all conductors of 480 volts or higher as live unless they first test and then ground them or use hot line work techniques. It is the height of ignorance to assume that any utility would rely on an uneducated customer to prevent a back feed from his or her generator for the safety of the lives of its workers.

Please give me some evidence or stop spreading misinformation and old wive's tales. I would like more than one instance of evidence since you used the plural.

Regards,

John Phillips

Reply to
John Phillips

I don't advocate any of these jackleg ways of connecting generators (Florida electrical professionals say as many people were hurt by generators AFTER Andrew than were hurt in the storm) but I have also wondered how much of this "dead lineman" stuff was true. I have to believe the locked rotor current of the 3 neighbor's A/C units, refrigerators and freezers on my pole pig would be enough to trip out any but the biggest gen set.

I am also curious how they deal with those folks who do intentionally and legally back feed the grid with home generated power.

Reply to
Gfretwell

I am not familiar with utility practices and have a question about this.

Is it typical for a lineman after a storm to restore fuses and service disconnects without practicing the safety procedures (testing for the presence of voltage, proper gounding, etc.) that you mentioned?

Improper backfeeding of service conductors is and should be considered a crime with severe penalties, of course.

I'm just wondering if some of the experts in the field would suggest that perhaps a change in procedure for utility crews such as increasing training to be aware of,and test for, potential backfeeding situations might help prevent some of these incidents where a lineman was killed or injured. Are you saying that some utilities are deficient in this training?

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

A net-metered RE system must have an inverter/automatic transfer switch that automatically disconnects from the grid in the event of a loss of utility power. Utilities invariably require an accessible, well labelled disconnect outside the house, near the service entrance.

The utility generally inspects the installation VERY closely before allowing you to connect such a system to the grid.

Bob Weiss N2IXK

Reply to
Bob Weiss

If fused disconnect switches are not capable of picking up load, then the circuit should be tested for potential before it is closed. Recognize that it will normally take a very large generator to be able to back feed any section of distribution line. There are several houses on the low voltage side of my own 13.8kV to 240 volt transformer and my 5kW unit is not capable of back feeding them. There are hundreds of houses in the line segment between disconnects.

No.

Regards,

John Phillips

Reply to