Generator Hassles

The electrical service goes to the house. There are 3 underground 000 cables that go to the barn from the house. The barn has a 60 amp breaker in
the breaker box at the house. The 12,000 watt generator is in the barn. It has a 50 amp 240vac outlet, a 30 amp 240vac outlet and several others. I am hooking the 50 amp outlet to the house. I am using the same 3 underground 000 cables to send generator power to the house during a power outage.
A 90 amp contactor in the barn won't connect the generator to the house unless: 1. The electrical service to the house is off, and 2. The service disconnect switch at the house is off.
When the generator is turned on, it tests the service disconnect at the house to assure the above two conditions are met. This is done by sending a 1 second electrical pulse to the house to see if it will actuate a coil. If the coil actuates, the 90 amp contactor latches open and prevents backfeed into the grid. If the service power turns on during that 1 second, the generator power and service power will clash and throw a 50 amp breaker to the generator.
http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html

sampe problem same solution.

sounds unlikely to work.

if you're lucky.
--- ---
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 17:08:08 -0400, "Martin Riddle"

Great shot of Jon's barn...

Actually it'll probably blow his generator, and resolve the problem almost immediately... With luck, Jon will be fondleing it at the time.

10 points to you..

that's now way it could go, another is the gernerator could phase-lock with the mains. and continue to run.
--- ---

That's not the point, he might hurt himself, set fire to his barn or kill himself.
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:59:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote:

Uh, and your point is?
PeterD wrote:

There may be kittens in the barn.
mike
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:59:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote:

Jon hurting or killing himself is not what bothers me, the bother is hurting or killing unsuspecting others who may be there to try to help him.
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 02:45:52 -0700, "Very Sick Edmond Wollmann"

Yes, he can. If the grid is open, and the lineman is trying to repair that open, there is a (high) risk of voltage.
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:01:28 -0700, "Very Sick Edmond Wollmann"

Again this makes too many hazardous assumptions about conditions and Jon's ability to do things. Since he's proven he can not design a simple transfer switch, there is little hope that he will have ideal conditions for his system to work.
One problem is that Jon engineers for best/ideal conditions, and not worst case conditions. That is what seperates a real engineer from a wanna-be like Jon.
We don't care about your communication failures.
Jon is a troll.
Josepi wrote:

You seem to be the one who can't communicate, but I really don't care.

Actually you are the one Michael Asshole Terrell.
Jon tried his best, you don't have experience as much as he does in high power, he did 95% right, so, you're a military Junk. If you think you're smart, why didn't you help him?
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:42:01 -0700, "Very Sick Edmond Wollmann"

Which wasn't very good at all.

He (Jon) has no experience in this.

Close only counts in horse shoes and hand gernades. 95% right is still not good enough.

Makes no sense.

We *all* tried to help him, but Jon is convinced that he knows more than any of us. I've told him over and over what is required, but he refuses to do it right.
So, Jon, quit nymshifting, and use your head.