Nikola Tesla

Did any of you guys learn about Tesla in high school?
I took two years of Electrical construction and maintenance after high
school in the early 80s and had still never heard of him.
I think the first time I ever hear of him was reading about him on the Internet. That was probably in the late 80s.
His name is frequently used to support the "energy from thin air" crowd and they are using his icon to worship the "OverUnity" God, being the head of their church and religion.
He developed three power systems and generation. Most of the rest was just crap as he died poor, after giving away all his patents and the voices in his head told him to make wireless power transmision using high voltage. He probably went insane and his financial support (J.P. Morgan) pulled out support when it wasn't profitable (unmeterable) The OU crowd will tell you J.P. Mporgan represents "The man" and did everything from murdering him to stepping on his head to stop people from developing free power. That wasn't his goal.
Did any of you guys learn about Tesla in high school?
I took two years of Electrical construction and maintenance after high school in the early 80s and had still never heard of him.
I think the first time I ever hear of him was reading about him on the Internet. That was probably in the late 80s.

Before high school, I'd made several disruptive tesla coils, although I probably didn't know the name 'Tesla' until a bit later, but certainly in high school.

He certainly got several mentions during my physics degree.

--
Andrew Gabriel
writes:

I bet that most "scientists & engineers" know about the Tesla coil.
Most present day EEs were educated after the AC technology that Tesla created from scratch was quite mature technology and little new "science" was needed.
The generation of teachers educated in the 30's were more interested in an historical approcah and passed that on to their students. But that's no more.

I knew of him before high school but high school gave (incorrectly in my opinion) more emphasis to Edison He is well known and mentioned in EE texts as well as histories of the US electrical system. He invented the polyphase (2 or 3 phase) system and the induction motor. His support of AC put him in serious contention with Edison who was defending his DC systems- Edison electrocuted dogs and convinced New York state to operate its new electric chair with AC. Tesla used his "coil" which was a high voltage high frequency transformer to produce "lightning" and take strokes from this saying "perfectly safe". Fun and games in the 1880's
His early work earned him a great deal of credit- he is given credit for some other things and has a high voltage lab in Colorado- however little came out of this as he developed serious mental problems- and his later work and patents promised a lot but gave little of use.
--
Don Kelly
cross out to reply

There's a memorial to him somewhere in midtown Manhattan, I can't remember exactly where, probably somewhere in the 34th to 42nd street area, because I've walked past it several times, and that's the part of the city that I've walked most often.
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 02:43:24 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@mail.croydon.ac.uk wrote:

In 1963 I worked at 42 West 39th Street, which is between 5th and 6th Avenues.
I cut through a building to go from either 40th street to 39th, or 39th to 38th, I forget which. There was a plaque to Tesla in the building.
Evidentially (http://www.teslasociety.com/bryantpark.htm ) now there is a plaque that mentions Tesla in 32 West 40th Street, but I don't know if that building was the one with the plaque that I saw. The above site also mentions a plaque at 49 West 27th, but that plaque went up sometime around 1977, so it isn't the plaque that I saw.
http://www.teslamemorialsociety.org/TMSok%20-%20Czech%20TV%20Event%20Page.htm mentions that Tesla had offices at 8 West 40th.

In high school I think a student built a Tesla coil. Various scientific supply house sold hand held Tesla coils. Supposedly they were used to check glass vacuum systems for leaks. I never did understand just how that would work. There was one at our high school.
In my failing memory, read a story about the original antagonism between Tesla and Edison. Fresh off the boat, Tesla got a job rom Edison to repair some kind of Edison installation on a boat or ship. Edison stiffed Tesla out of the agreed payment. I remember reading that Edison claimed that the high agreed amount was a joke. That may be the case, but he may have taken advantage of the newly arrived greenhorn who may not have realized what the going rates were. I have no idea of what Tesla's English proficiency was at the time.
Westinghouse benefited from Tesla's patents and was the beneficiary of not having to pay royalties. Although I do not know the details, my guess is that when Tesla was down on his luck Westinghouse, the corporation, could have treated him less shabbily.
Bill
--
An old man would be better off never having been born.

I built one in high school, fired by an oil ignition transformer into a spark gap (1200:5 turn coil). They wouldn't let me fire it up on school property. Lawyers at work, even then. ;-)

Are you confusing Westinghouse and GE? Or did you change subject somewhere in there?

Nope. I understand that Edison (GE) referred to penal electrocutions as Westinghousing.
Bill
--
An old man would be better off never having been born.

"You Can Be Sure, If It's Westinghouse"
Nope. I understand that Edison (GE) referred to penal electrocutions as Westinghousing.
Bill
--
An old man would be better off never having been born.

In article < snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com>,
Josepi wrote:

"You Can Be Sure Its Crap, If It's Westinghouse"
I feel you missed the point. This was an old advertising slogan used for years and the joke was the on the sign over the electric chair.
Living in Canuckistan we didn't see much Westinghouse stuff for a few decades. It seemed to reappear about ten years ago again as White/Westinhouse.
"You Can Be Sure Its Crap, If It's Westinghouse
"Josepi wrote:

Insistent top posting Usenet retards like you should test out an electric chair... as the executionee.
snipped retarded horseshit from the group horseshit retards.
Annoying as top posting is to some, doubt that that problem will make anybody's list of the top hundred problems facing the world.
Bill Top posting on purpose to annoy the annoyer. I encourage others to do the same.

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.

Josepi wrote:

You don't get it. The Westinghouse name is just another old US brand name that was sold to the highest bidder in the far east.
I have no interest in where the Westinghouse name came from and my comment was not related to that nonsense.
It was a joke. Your self defence was not founded on anything in my comment.
You don't get it. The Westinghouse name is just another old US brand name that was sold to the highest bidder in the far east.
Josepi wrote:

Josepi wrote:

Yawn. Get a life. Then see if you can afford a sense of humor, you pathetic loser. The only thing you can be sure about Westinghouse products, is that they are imported garbage,

Holy shit man. Take your medication.
Josepi wrote:

Yawn. Get a life. Then see if you can afford a sense of humor, you pathetic loser. The only thing you can be sure about Westinghouse products, is that they are imported garbage,

Josepi wrote:

Which one? The diabetes medicine or the high blood pressure medicine?