Question about SquareD Service Entrace Equipment

Hello,

I am a DIY'er in the process of working an electrical installation in a house that I am building.

I purchased a SquareD Homeline combination service entrance device - and I am trying to understand how to put it together. The model number for the box is SC12L200S.

So, basically the power comes in from the street through the meter and over to the "customer" side of the box via a couple of bars that serve as conductors and connect directly to the buses.

The only cable stubbed into the CSED is a 2/0 cable that feeds into a circuit breaker box in the basement - all of my branch circuits are tied into the circuit breaker box in the basement.

The store sold me a 200 amp breaker to use with the box, but it is not a main-disconnect type breaker, instead, it looks like four regular circuit breakers tied together with a common trip. it plugs in like a normal circuit breaker on the buses, but takes up four slots.

My question is this: Can I use this 200 amp breaker as my main disconnect? I suppose I just hook the red and black from my 2/0 cable that feeds to the basement panel, and leave the other two clamps on the

200a breaker vacant? If this is the case, what is the purpose of the other two clamps on this breaker?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
david

Inside the Homeline panel you bought should be a listing for the largest breaker that can be used in it as well as the type of that breaker. The Homeline 200 amp service I had was 100 amp branch breaker max.

2/0 is a tad light where I live for 200 amps. I think you had better contact some one locally soon, before your spending money that is not going to help you to your goal.
Reply to
SQLit

No offense, but you should hire some help. That breaker you describe is really two 100 amp two pole breakers in parallel. This is Sq D's version of a 200 amp residential breaker. Normally this configuration is made up on both sides from the factory. Usually Buss/Buss. In order to connect a pair of wires to it you would have to actually split the wiring between the terminals, which is a code violation.( Or you could parallel the wire). I doubt if it is as described. I don't think you realize that the lugs you are looking at are already feeding the buss. Aren't there some set screws tightened down on some aluminum bars? Also, 2/0 copper is permissable as service conductors on a residence. However, if I understand what you are describing, you are trying to feed a sub-panel. That will require 3/0. All this is assuming that your sub-panel is rated for 200 amps, and that you can fit a 200 amp breaker in the service panel you describe. More likely your sub is rated at 125 amps.

Reply to
Long Ranger