Getting matching transformer from telephone

The definition of on/off hook supervision has not changed, and that makes it exceedingly relevant.

Not necessarily. Some do have transformers.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

BS. It is *very* simple. Every simple (or complex) telephone for a hundred years or so has been doing the exact same thing!

And *you* don't know how to set levels properly to handle that?

Most people do know...

Why not use a properly designed pad, with the correct impedance? "Pulling the line low"???? Giggle snort, cough and laugh...

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

You falsely claimed it was otherwise. Seems *you* are the one with a lack of "know" about this topic.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

That is true, but doesn't mean what you apparently think it does.

A mismatch at the distant end will result in echo, and if the distance (no matter whether it is traversed via metallic cable, fiber, microwave or satellite) is far enough to delay the echo long enough, it will be heard as an echo by the near end user.

Typical local calls usually have a low echo return delay, while long distance will be higher. However, that is not always the case and I can demonstrate examples of local calls that are routed over satellite systems (meaning the echo delay is necessarily very close to 400-500 milliseconds). Those calls require echo cancellation, because even if the echo is 30 dB down, it is still very annoying when there is that much delay.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

In civilised parts of the world with proper infrastructure it can.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Such as ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It isn't. Not for about 45 years.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Damn right ! Not ONE of these 'phone experts' has mentioned that.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

A: OFF HOOK you twit.

B: the DC resistance of the transformer primary may cause the phone to stop working by lowering the line voltage too much.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

What ?

Look, I've designed line interfaces FFS. For Xerox. I've already mentioned it once.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Rather different to 2k I think you'll agree.

Ribbons are FAR lower. Maybe 50 ohms AFTER the transformer !

And Pin 1 on an XLR is ALWAYS the cable shield. It may also be GROUND - but that's another story. It certainly isn't used to provide phantom power under ANY circumstances. And the last time I came across a centre tapped transformer in pro-audio was 35 years ago. It caused a bloody nuisance too. Modern balanced audio circuits are 'floating'. The centre tap provides ZERO advantage.

I now expect you to make an idiot of yourself trying to refute that one.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How would you know that?

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Off hook is a loop *current* condition.

Typically a split winding is used, with a mid-point capacitor to block DC current.

Even you should have known that.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Jesus Wept !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You can say anything you like, but when you make up all the ridiculous garbage you are posting to this thread there is little doubt that you haven't got even the faintest clue how telecommuncations equipment works.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

BS. I had previously discussed it in detail.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

"Archimedes'= SCHIZOPHRENIC LUNATIC TROLL"

** Go DROP DEAD !!

you VILE TROLLING PIECE OF AUTISTIC SHIT

Reply to
Phil Allison

45 years ago it certainly was!
Reply to
Stuart

In article , Eeyore scribeth thus

More fibre these days, BT seems to be taking their large scale microwave equipment's out of service very quickly.

They do however in common with other carriers seem to be using microwave more for last mile applications but for "trunk" applications fibre is the main or only means of transmission...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Eeyore scribeth thus

Apart from providing the -return path- for the current sent over the balanced pair;)...