Getting permit tomorrow, want to be prepared

Do I have to bring anything, like wiring diagram etc? It's for a 220v outlet I'm putting in.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

They will want to see a diagram, just so they have someplace to put the rubber stamp. Here they actually want 3 copies. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just the facts. (breaker size, wire size, wiring method and the terminations laid out on the floor plan). They seem to have a pretty good sense of humor with a homeowner if you get the details right.

I am putting in a pool and I drew all of my plans in less than an hour. The permit flew through in about half the time the contractors take. I guess they know, if they make it too hard, you won't get a permit next time.

Reply to
Greg

For a single outlet? Seems like overkill to even bother getting a permit in the first place, if you know what you are doing.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

Also, they usually ask for a urine sample as well. Best to be prepared.

To send me e-mail remove the sevens from my address.

Chrisd

Reply to
.

That's more than they need to know but that is the usual way a homeowner permit is submitted. It should fly through. You will probably be underwealmed by your inspection. I imagine all he will do is be sure you didn't install the green screw and that you have the extra ground bus ... if he looks at anything. Some guys are "strapping" inspectors who look at your cable clamps, thinking that is an indication of your workmanship. I'm "the grounding guy" ;-)

Reply to
Greg

BTW be sure you have all the BS right on your application, (legal description of the property and such). Most permits are rejected because the examiner has an empty box on their form for something that has nothing to do with the technical issues. Most building departments have a checklist you can download or get from them in hardcopy. They may even require a plot plan, even if you are not changing the footprint of your home. It is easier to just go along than to fight the system. That is what happens when government runs stuff.

Reply to
Greg

| Ok, does this look good? | |

If it were me, I'd change "220" to "240".

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| That is what happens when government runs stuff.

Actually, it's more a case of ... That is what happens when people who can't get a real job in a business run a government.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Why do you need to do that? Presumably you have a space left in you existing panelboard for a two pole breaker to feed the new subpanel so why not use it to run to the new outlet? or are you planning future additions? even so, this seems like a lot of worry over very little. my guess is no one is going to care much if you bother to apply for a permit just give a written description of what you plan, or a hand drawn sketch. this is not rocket science.

Reply to
bob peterson

You mean lawyers. That is where these silly rules come from. That is why things like the lack of the legal description of the property and the plot plan can be permit killers, even when the permit has nothing to do with ownership and the location of the building. (although in the case of "owner/builder" permits ownership is key)

Reply to
Greg

An inspection does not mean they are approving your work, or that it was done right. If you do not know what you are doing, get someone who does.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

about what you will pay for the parts.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

I would call your jurisdiction. For residential, I doubt the counter will care too much about it as your permit is processed. They may need the voltage and amperage to calculate the fee. The rough and final inspections should address issues of safety.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

Definitely call the jurisdiction. Some will, some do not bother for residential with the inspection process.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

It depends on the jurisdiction. Some have very simple forms and the clerk fills in the blanks for the applicant. Others, the plans examiner will do that or call for missing information. It boils down to the people.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

Absolutely. When everything goes right, the paper process seems useless. But once you have to defend something in court, there is that note you scribbled in a rush and later discarded that you kick yourself about.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Hogwash! It certainly *does* mean that they're approving the work, even though it may not be done "right" (whatever that means).

Certainly it doesn't mean that everything is perfect, but the home-owner can ask more questions, get a deeper inspection (hint to homeowner: a cuppa coffee is a good bribe). It certainly means that he's covered for future sales and insurance claims.

Perhaps you're pissed because it wasn't done by a union thug?

Reply to
KR Williams

No it does not mean they are approving anything. All they have done is come out and signed off on it, and that is absolutely meaningless. It won't save you from a fire if you did it wrong and the guy didn't notice, or any liability for your poor installation you might have down the road.

I have no love for unions. But i do prefer work be done by someone competent, often a homeowner is quite able to do this type of work quite sfaely so there is no need for an electrician, union or otherwise. OTOH, if you don't know what you are doing this could end up killing someone (including yourself).

Reply to
Bob Peterson

Reply to
Michael Shaffer