Getting permit tomorrow, want to be prepared

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Michael Shaffer

On 19 May 2004 20:51:02 GMT Greg wrote: |>| That is what happens when government runs stuff. |>

|>Actually, it's more a case of ... That is what happens when people who can't |>get a real job in a business run a government. | | | You mean lawyers. That is where these silly rules come from. That is why things | like the lack of the legal description of the property and the plot plan can be | permit killers, even when the permit has nothing to do with ownership and the | location of the building. (although in the case of "owner/builder" permits | ownership is key)

Lawyers are a big part of the problem. But there are some non-lawyers who contribute, as well.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| It depends on the jurisdiction. Some have very simple forms and the clerk | fills in the blanks for the applicant. Others, the plans examiner will do | that or call for missing information. It boils down to the people.

Some good, some bad. It's a good thing this isn't a forum about local school district administrators, or else it would become a long hot thread.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| Just got the permit, they didn't look at my drawings or anything. They | just had me write down the number of circuits I was adding (3 but they | rounded it to 5) and I paid for it. It was $56..

You'd think you'd get a little more service for that $56. Did you get reasonable value for your money?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| I have no love for unions. But i do prefer work be done by someone | competent, often a homeowner is quite able to do this type of work quite | sfaely so there is no need for an electrician, union or otherwise. OTOH, if | you don't know what you are doing this could end up killing someone | (including yourself).

At this point, aren't you supposed to say something like "tell me where you live so I can tell my children where they are out of bounds"?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

No. I think you are capable of determining if you have the skills to tackle this job.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

Nonsense. It means they're approving the building to be used as designed. Certainly they're not guaranteeing safety. No third- party is going to take that responsibility.

Sure. I've done many such things as a homeowner (I'm an engineer, not electrician). The ones I've had inspected have passed with flying colors, to the point that the inspector thought I was a nut!

And no, I didn't use the feeds (other than work) until it was signed off. Signed-off == accepted!

Reply to
KR Williams