Help winding my own inductor?

message

Never posted the same message twice doper boy....If you would take the time to read it....it was definitely, not the same....why don't you show me where they were the same since you insist? Message ID please.... You made ANOTHER mistake and are now revising the facts to cover your screw up......And of course the usual rhetoric, in a lame effort to change the subject.... Bong on doper boy!

Reply to
Ross Mac

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:46:43 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

Here we go again.

Wire gauge doubles every THREE full integer wire sizes.

22Ga is then 19 Ga at three strands, and just bigger than 16 Ga seven strands.

At six strands, it would be 16 Gauge equivalent.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Reply to
John Fields

In coil configurations the Proximity effect generally greatly exceeds ordinary skin effect. That's one reason the multiple strands MUST also be woven. Untwisted wires allow any strands located closer to the center of the coil to end up with lower currents. Twisting may suffice for a small number of strands, but in the general case some form of weaving is required. The more "woven" the litz strands are, the better their performance will be, ultimately with Rac/Rdc = 1 at all frequencies. I'll venture that most commercial litz wire isn't fully woven, but it performs much better than simple twisted strands.

Thanks, - Win

whill_at_picovolt-dot-com

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Reply to
John Fields

I read in sci.electronics.design that DarkMatter wrote (in ) about 'Help winding my own inductor?', on Sun, 21 Dec 2003:

Brilliant! You call me an idiot and claim to know all about the subject, yet you think it was invented by someone called 'Litz'!

'Litz' is short for the German word 'Litzendraht'. Being a German noun, it starts with a capital letter. 'Litze' means 'lace', 'cord' or 'braid'. The strands of genuine Litz are interwoven in a specific way, not just twisted or bunched. It works only for certain numbers of strands, in the same way, roughly, as twisting works properly only for

7, 19, 37, 61, 97... etc. strands (numbers above 37 may be slightly wrong).
Reply to
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that DarkMatter wrote (in ) about 'Help winding my own inductor?', on Sun, 21 Dec 2003:

Tie a weight on it and let it sink back. (;-)

Reply to
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that DarkMatter wrote (in ) about 'Help winding my own inductor?', on Sat, 20 Dec 2003:

I LIKE it! just a factor of 32 times as many turns. Expert? Ha!

Reply to
John Woodgate

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:35:43 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

Now, it appears that you don't even know what litz wire is for.

I found a chart that lists litz configurations with strand counts as low as three.

DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:35:43 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

Skin effect is the exact reason. Again, I can place the same number of turns at the SAME circular mil area onto a core and get different performance at different operating frequencies, and said performance is HIGHER on the multi-strand configurations, and the reason IS skin effect.

Where have you been?

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:35:43 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

I make linear and switched power supplies, and I know that there is an effect, and we get better operation at the same gauges on any given choke. It has everything to do with skin effect.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:35:43 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

A few posts ago, you were telling us how seven strands did not make a litz wire. Now, after your lame ass has done some searching, and you know there are 3 strand configurations, your lame ass attacks my statement that any strand count above one is litz.

You're an idiot.

I am right. It is, but it doesn't take up any more space to go three strand, and that twists easily. It is usually the minimum strand count offered. I already knew that, however.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On 21 Dec 2003 09:00:22 -0800, Winfield Hill Gave us:

Litz wire is NOT woven. Exotic types are, but most litz is standard mag wire.

Here's a simple site chart that lists 3 strand and up.

Sheesh!

Reply to
DarkMatter

On 21 Dec 2003 09:00:22 -0800, Winfield Hill Gave us:

You lose. Most commercial litz is simple twisted or even non twisted bundling.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:05:46 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

Look, chucko. WIre size doubles every three gauges. That is what I said, and that is what is true.

In fact... Three 22s makes a 19, and three more makes another 19.

Two 19s doesn't even make one 16 so seven 22s is most certainly closer to a single 16 than it is your lame assed 14 claim.

Try again.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:09:03 +0000, John Woodgate Gave us:

Wrong. They MAY be woven, but generally are just twisted.

Here you speak of perfect twisting. Which is it, boy, twisted or woven?

No. TWISTING only works well with certain strand counts. You describe circular object nesting numbers. A given, and known for centuries. You state nothing new.

Litz effects occur with any count above one. It is simple math. More skin, better performance. Period.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:10:14 +0000, John Woodgate Gave us:

Take this f*ck you, stick it a foot up yer ass, and twist it.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:12:26 +0000, John Woodgate Gave us:

Dumbshit. I just don't happen to remember the reading we got the other day. It is likely to be in microhenries, however, as the turns count is low.

Fuck you! Ha!

Reply to
DarkMatter

Reply to