Help winding my own inductor?

Reply to
John Fields

Hmmm. For DC or AC use? If AC, at what frequency? Like beauty, electricity is sometimes only skin deep.

Reply to
Greg Neill

Mag Inc uses the curves I developed back in 1960 to determine the energy storage which they post for each of their moly permaloy cores. If they have DC in them, that must be taken into account.

bushbadee
[Nothing civilized]

Thanks for playing.

Reply to
Greg Neill

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:20:15 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

Except that your lame, retarded ass is only looking at even gauges.

Ther are odd gauges, and half gauges, you stupid f*ck. 14 is NOT the nearest gauge.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:28:08 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

You're an idiot. Bare wires would form a single conductor. Isolated wires form litz configurations. No braiding or weaving is required.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:35:00 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

You are incorrect.

The coil was initially wound with 14 Ga solid wire.

The litz wound coils work better.

The reason is skin effect. Period.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:55:33 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

This is the same retard that re-iterates what is written on a site to someone to the tune of 40 or more lines, but doesn't have a single line expressing so much as the time of day here.

What an ignorant, retarded troll f*ck you are.

Fuck you, and your petty kaka ass, ya dumb f*ck.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:35:46 -0800, DarkMatter wroth:

Braiding and/or weaving *is* necessary if you want the multiple strands to work like Litz wire and reduce the AC skin effect inherent in all single element *or* non-woven multiple conductors.

If you string up three wires in parallel and they stay side by side in the same orientation from end to end, then more AC current will flow in the outer two wires than in the center one.

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

Who really gives a shit what dm wrote.

Reply to
bushbadee

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:35:37 GMT, James Meyer Gave us:

If the wires are bare, they form a single conductor. If they are not, they form a litz wire. No weaving is required. Woven litz functions better, but is NOT a requisite to see the effect.

The skin effect is not being reduced with litz wire, it is being exploited. Maximized even.

The multiple strands each have their skin, and that total skin area is increased, giving the wire a larger apparent size, from the perspective of the high frequency currents on it. If the wires are bare, they meld together form the current's POV.

So, if it is more than one element, there will be a reduction in impedance on the wire at higher frequencies. Period.

It does not require that it be RF either. It does not require weaving. All that is being done is that a "skin" is provided to the current flow in areas of a given wire bundle that would normally NOT be provided in a single strand, or bare bundle.

So, as l;ong as the wires are isolated from each other, there WILL be a skin effect for all non DC use above a dead slow frequency. In other words, there is a propagation delay, but it doesn't require RF to show an effect, and therefore a benefit.

Even the power line boys know that, and they are at 60Hz, with their bundles separated by 4 inches of air between each strand.

Reply to
DarkMatter

"DarkMatter" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I would think that was done for more practical reasons, such as weight, stretchability, even redundancy perhaps.

Reply to
Frank Bemelman

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:22:01 +0100, "Frank Bemelman" Gave us:

Funny. They constantly refer to skin effect. Even in the PBS documentaries describing them.

I never believed it either, being at a mere 60Hz, but one hears power boys in this group mentioning that there is an effect... all the time.

I shouldn't have to dig one up.

Anyway, I happen to know that there are notable effects at even

10kHz. So there will certainly be effects at 20kHz, which is where my argument was centered. The circumferential "skin" on the wire is the main factor here. Litz wire increases that whether there is weaving or not, Regardless of the woven styles used in HF RF systems, there are plenty of litz offerings by these wire makers that are NOT woven, and are not centered on HF RF use.

Anybody in the switch mode PS industry knows this.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:05:31 -0800, DarkMatter wroth:

Do you know *why* AC currents in a single wire tend to flow in its skin and avoid the center of the wire? Once we agree on the basic mechanism, I think I can show you why braiding is necessary.

Jim

P.S. You could Google sed to see some of my earlier posts on the subject of skin effect. I even posted a spice simulation for skin effects.

Reply to
James Meyer

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:22:01 +0100, "Frank Bemelman" wroth:

Not to mention voltage breakdown effects. A thin wire causes a large field concentration, volts per meter, around it when compared to a larger diameter wire. Four wires spaced apart tend to look like a single larger wire for field purposes.

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:56:56 -0800, DarkMatter wroth:

If you did, you'd find that the skin depth for copper at 60 Hz is close to a half an inch. If the current is great enough so that you need a wire greater than an inch in diameter to carry it, then you can save copper by running more than one wire.

That's due skin effect, but it has nothing to do with Litz wire.

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

or a tube.

bericht

Reply to
bushbadee

I beat the f*ck out of liars when I find them.

Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
John Fields