High Voltage From Wall Plug

I am in Canada. I bought a Battery Backup for my computer and plugged it in. It won't charge because the input voltage is too high. It will only allow me to compensate for voltages lower than 143 buuut the UPC software reports the voltage at a pretty constant 150V.

I am planning on calling the power company tomorrow. Is this (150V) dangerous at all ??

Reply to
Randy

----------------- This is too high. Typically you should be within 5% of 120V but may be up to

10% high or low. Do you have excess failure of lights or odd things happening when different loads come on- such as some lights dimming when others are turned on? The problem may be a grounding one -most likely at your panel or service entrance. You may need to call an electrician in that case but, by all means, do contact your utility. If you have a voltmeter and feel confident using one, check different outlets to see if some are high and others low. The UPC software may also be in error.

The main danger is that some lights and other stuff may fail prematurely. --

Don Kelly snipped-for-privacy@shawcross.ca remove the X to answer

Reply to
Don Kelly

I've been here so long, I don't know, doesn't everybody pick up a case of lightbulbs on a Friday night? lol

It never occurred to me that it could be the UPS. I am sure electronics aren't going prematurely. I have so much electronic crap, when I stop to think about it, and nothing has blown up. All my lights are the new efficient ones and I can't even remember replacing one yet. I am going to take your advise and pick up a voltmeter tomorrow.

Thanx for your help Don.

Reply to
Randy

Something that nobody else has mentioned, so I'll ask.

Do you have any outlets where the voltage is too low?? If some lights are bright and other rooms the lights are dim, you could have a loose neutral problem. That may be insider your house and not the power company's fault.

Check the voltage on several outlets in several different rooms, if they are

*all* high, then call the power company. If some are high and others are low, you may need an electrician instead.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Excellent, proper, and complete diagnosis.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard