hot circuit detector

What is the method by which these hot circuit detectors (as seen in stores where electrical wiring stuff is sold) work? Is it capacitive? Can it be used to measure voltage (if set in a fixed position and calibrated)? Can it be used to monitor voltage waveform?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Yes they work by induction. They are also capable of giving false positives like when using them to check fuses.

Measuring voltage is not their job. Presence of voltage is their job.

Monitor a wave form, surely your joking.

Reply to
SQLit

|> -- | | Yes they work by induction. They are also capable of giving false positives | like when using them to check fuses. | | Measuring voltage is not their job. Presence of voltage is their job. | | Monitor a wave form, surely your joking.

I would have thought it might be capacitance. But my curiosity is how it does it given that both conductors are present.

By whatever means these devices can pick up the presence of voltage, I'd like to adapt it to measure the voltage waveform, at least for phase, and possibly for harmonics. The idea is to do so without any direct contact with the conductors, even if no current is flowing.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

I agree with you, this thing is measuring something, field, magnetism or something. One thing that I know is true, it is shock sensitive so there may be some mechanical element. That might be what gets you. You can get one and break it, see how it works. I bought my Greenlee at the borg

Reply to
Greg