Hum from phone wires running next to mains?

snipped-for-privacy@thisaddressis.invalid says...


That is his choice, one that you are defeating for not other reason than you vanity (which this thread is likely stroking).

The beauty of the Usenet is obviously lost on you.

Yes, and I'm sure it's not the first time your arrogance has gotten in the way of communication.
--
Keith

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
says...
[snip]
: >> Ok, fine. But you are over-complicating things IMHO. : >> Why do you need different fonts for different levels : >> of quotes..? : > : > That is his choice, one that you are defeating for not : > other reason than you vanity (which this thread is : > likely stroking).
Exactly - it's *his* choice, so why should *I* have to modify my long-established system to accommodate him and a handful of people who can't cope..?
: >> The beauty of Usenet to : >> me is it is (theoretically at any rate) in *plain : >> ASCII text* so all this mucking about with fonts, : >> colours or whatever that people do on the web is, or : >> so I thought, mercifully absent. : > : > The beauty of the Usenet is obviously lost on you.
No, it hasn't, that's my point.
: >> Seems I was wrong. But I'm not changing my quote : >> marks. Live with it or plonk me, it's all the same to : >> me. : >> : > Yes, and I'm sure it's not the first time your : > arrogance has gotten in the way of communication.
Whatever you say. But I'm still not changing my quotes to suit a handful of people out of the thousands I've come across in the years I've been on Usenet.
Bye.
Ivor
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@thisaddressis.invalid says...

Right. Why should you care about anyone other than yourself?

It *obviously* has.

Of course you're not going to adopt to group norms. You're far to important for that.
--
Keith

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@thisaddressis.invalid says...

*MY* system is configured properly. *YOU* have the problem. ...and more than one.
--
Keith

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
[snip]
: > *MY* system is configured properly. *YOU* have the : > problem. ...and more than one.
Eh..? *I* don't have a problem. Seems to me it's *you* that has the problem, if you can't cope with a simple : character in a plain text message.
Bye.
Ivor
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@thisaddressis.invalid says...

Yes, you do.

Again, it is not *I* who has a problem.
--
Keith

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
krw wrote:

Can't the two of you continue this by email and stop wasting everyone else's bandwidth?
regards, Ian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
message
[snip]
: > Can't the two of you continue this by email and stop : > wasting everyone else's bandwidth? : > : > regards, Ian
Well putting my pedant's hat on, you don't *have* to read it..!
But in any case I am saying no more, I'm as tired of the argument as you are.
Ivor
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 02:43:18 -0000, "Ivor Jones"

Yes it should because the whole point of usenet is the simple and standard format it is presented in, versus say a web forum.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote: : [snip]
: >>It shouldn't be *my* problem if your software can't : >>cope. : >> : >>Ivor : > : > Yes it should because the whole point of usenet is the : > simple and standard format it is presented in, versus : > say a web forum.
Plain text. If you have a problem with that, then I'm sorry but it *is* your problem. It's people who post in HTML and other strange formats that are the problem.
Although even Outlook Express can cope with that.
Ivor
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I think software developers sometimes call this kind of dilemma Postel's Law .
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Graham." wrote:

It certainly establishes that my PLONK filter is correctly set.
--
[mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@thisaddressis.invalid says...

Yes, if your intention here is to post for some reason other than to read your own writing. That can be done without the expense of an Internet connection.
BTW, make that five, six, twenty, or whatever.
--
Keith

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 02:43:18 -0000, "Ivor Jones"

That depends on how non-standard you are. Just because some newsreaders can cope does not make it standard or right. Your stuff don't bother me none. News clients that produce non-quotable posts do bother me, it makes trying to reply worthless.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:
[snip]
: >>It shouldn't be *my* problem if your software can't : >>cope. : >> : >>Ivor : > : > That depends on how non-standard you are. Just because : > some newsreaders can cope does not make it standard or : > right. Your stuff don't bother me none. News clients : > that produce non-quotable posts do bother me, it makes : > trying to reply worthless.
Which makes it the *software's* problem, not mine. If your software can't do what you want it to, get software that can.
Ivor
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@thisaddressis.invalid says...

This is only true if your intention is to write for yourself. In that case, why bother the rest of us?
--
Keith

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
says...
[snip]
: >> Which makes it the *software's* problem, not mine. If : >> your software can't do what you want it to, get : >> software that can. : > : > This is only true if your intention is to write for : > yourself. In that case, why bother the rest of us?
Nobody's forcing you to read my message. Which is written in plain text, by the way. If you can't cope with a simple : character in a bit of ASCII text, tough.
Bye.
Ivor
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I think the only real issue is that ":" could appear naturally in a "plain text" email as it is a standard punctuation mark, ">" is far less likely though I suppose ": :" is unlikely too.
--
Stuart Winsor

From is valid but subject to change without notice if it gets spammed.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:
: >> Nobody's forcing you to read my message. Which is : >> written in plain text, by the way. If you can't cope : >> with a simple : character in a bit of ASCII text, : >> tough. : > : > I think the only real issue is that ":" could appear : > naturally in a "plain text" email as it is a standard : > punctuation mark, ">" is far less likely though I : > suppose ": :" is unlikely too.
But what is the objection..? I just don't get it. I've been on Usenet for over 10 years and nobody has *ever* complained about this before.
Ivor
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
|
| wrote: | | : >> Nobody's forcing you to read my message. Which is | : >> written in plain text, by the way. If you can't cope | : >> with a simple : character in a bit of ASCII text, | : >> tough. | : > | : > I think the only real issue is that ":" could appear | : > naturally in a "plain text" email as it is a standard | : > punctuation mark, ">" is far less likely though I | : > suppose ": :" is unlikely too. | | But what is the objection..? I just don't get it. I've been on Usenet for | over 10 years and nobody has *ever* complained about this before.
The fact that you are DOUBLE indenting makes it appear that you have quoted ONLY the quoting of the previous poster. It doesn't matter if the indenting is ": >" or ": :" or even "> >". It is misleading.
--
|---------------------------------------/----------------------------------|
| Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org) / Do not send to the address below |
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.