Hum from phone wires running next to mains?

Yes, if your intention here is to post for some reason other than to read your own writing. That can be done without the expense of an Internet connection.

BTW, make that five, six, twenty, or whatever.

Reply to
krw

In this case, "differently" = "non-standard" => misconfigured.

Reply to
krw
[snip]

: >> It's not misconfigured. Just configured differently. : >

: > In this case, "differently" = "non-standard" =>

: > misconfigured.

How do I know it's not your system that's misconfigured..? If it were configured correctly, surely it could cope with a : instead of a > ??

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

So just how many different possible quote characters is my software supposed to work for? Idiots who want to use a non-standard quote character can choose from 100 or so...

You may, or may not, be able to recognize the problem with accepting any character as the quote character... It's exactly the same as not recognizing any quote character at all. Or, recognizing the standard and looking at an article formatted with a non-standard character.

See?

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

I have built many twin lead antennas for VHF use. The distinction is not so clear as you are advertising.

Reply to
JosephKK

Not one of the three news clients i have regularly used have any problem with these quotes.

Reply to
JosephKK

One of the major reasons that i do not plonk anything but pure spam.

Reply to
JosephKK

The prudes are not listening any more.

Reply to
JosephKK

That depends on how non-standard you are. Just because some newsreaders can cope does not make it standard or right. Your stuff don't bother me none. News clients that produce non-quotable posts do bother me, it makes trying to reply worthless.

Reply to
JosephKK

I think i still have an old trimline. If i can find it, maybe i should plug it in. Not much advantage though, i will still have my cell. I wonder how long the cell towers will function in a power outage. The telco backup may not be any better. Maybe it is time to get my amateur licence and a radio.

Reply to
JosephKK
[snip]

: > So just how many different possible quote characters is : > my software supposed to work for? Idiots who want to : > use a non-standard quote character can choose from 100 : > or so...

My software (OE Quotefix, also OE as supplied) has a choice of three - the standard > or : or |

: > You may, or may not, be able to recognize the problem : > with accepting any character as the quote character... : > It's exactly the same as not recognizing any quote : > character at all. Or, recognizing the standard and : > looking at an article formatted with a non-standard : > character. : >

: > See?

No. Sorry.

Explain again what exactly your *software* (as opposed to your eyes) does with quote marks anyway..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones
[snip]

: >>It shouldn't be *my* problem if your software can't : >>cope. : >>

: >>Ivor : >

: > That depends on how non-standard you are. Just because : > some newsreaders can cope does not make it standard or : > right. Your stuff don't bother me none. News clients : > that produce non-quotable posts do bother me, it makes : > trying to reply worthless.

Which makes it the *software's* problem, not mine. If your software can't do what you want it to, get software that can.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Explain why we should need software with certain feature sets to reinterpret something so you don't have to follow standards. The whole point of usenet is to NOT need to do these things!

Reply to
kony

I've never had the telco power go out with a power outtage, FWIW, but I've never had to endure one that was lengthly (more than about a day). Since most outtages tend to be localized to a small area a cellphone would certainly be useful in most outtages.

Reply to
kony

My software allows me to use virtually *anything*. It could be a single character, or a string of characters.

Incidentally, it doesn't appear that you software is using ":". It is using ": ". The added space isn't as bad as the non-standard ':', but it's a waste of a precious column, and leads to incorrectly wrapped lines with many readers.

I thought you knew all about this???

Specifically my software is the gnus package running under XEmacs. I have it configured to display each level of quoted text with a distinct font face. In this case the significant difference is just the color of the text.

It can also do things like reformat quoted text, and will maintain the appropriate quote prefix. The paragraph quoted above, with your ':' quotes, ends up like this if it is reformatted:

If it had used standard quotes, it could be reformatted to look like this:

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

In fact, it is. What is an folded dipole? As opposed to a loop?

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

It certainly establishes that my PLONK filter is correctly set.

Reply to
CBFalconer
[snip]

: > Explain why we should need software with certain feature : > sets to reinterpret something so you don't have to : > follow standards. The whole point of usenet is to NOT : > need to do these things!

I don't understand why you need *software* (other than any standard newsreader) to interpret what you're reading on the screen. I type words, you read them - where does software come into it..? You can see perfectly well which parts of the message I am quoting.

I ask again - what is *software* doing with my quote marks that upsets you so much..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

[...]

Ok, fine. But you are over-complicating things IMHO. Why do you need different fonts for different levels of quotes..? The beauty of Usenet to me is it is (theoretically at any rate) in *plain ASCII text* so all this mucking about with fonts, colours or whatever that people do on the web is, or so I thought, mercifully absent.

Seems I was wrong. But I'm not changing my quote marks. Live with it or plonk me, it's all the same to me.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

This is only true if your intention is to write for yourself. In that case, why bother the rest of us?

Reply to
krw