Hum from phone wires running next to mains?

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote:

Well, it is possible that my memory is fouled. Haven't needed to disconnect ringers for at least 20 years.
[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net

Spot on. My parents had a 'princess phone' in the bedroom and a small AC transformer in the basement fed the light with yellow/black. But all the phones in my house are just R-G.
daestrom
On 5 Mar 2008 14:42:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

It depends on how old the phones, or these days with modern electrically powered phones, cordless/etc, the REN, number may be very low per phone. IMO, no good reason not to get a cordless phone these days as some are dirt cheap, except it's nice to have at least one non-electric in case the power goes out.

I think i still have an old trimline. If i can find it, maybe i should plug it in. Not much advantage though, i will still have my cell. I wonder how long the cell towers will function in a power outage. The telco backup may not be any better. Maybe it is time to get my amateur licence and a radio.
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 14:58:41 -0800, JosephKK

I've never had the telco power go out with a power outtage, FWIW, but I've never had to endure one that was lengthly (more than about a day). Since most outtages tend to be localized to a small area a cellphone would certainly be useful in most outtages.
Brian Cryer wrote:

I just looked at my phoneset, a wireless extension by Uniden. the base is rated at 0.08 REN. We have a regular phone and 2 of these wireless base stations with 2 sets each, so everyone has a set handy and the neighbors can listen in too.