Hum from phone wires running next to mains?

wrote:
[snip]
: > | But what is the objection..? I just don't get it. : > | I've been on Usenet for over 10 years and nobody has
: > | *ever* complained about this before. : > : > The fact that you are DOUBLE indenting makes it appear : > that you have : > quoted ONLY the quoting of the previous poster. It : > doesn't matter if : > the indenting is ": >" or ": :" or even "> >". It is : > misleading.
I put a space in, not a double indent. I have now modifed the system so it puts a single : instead of converting the previous quote mark to a : which it did before. So now you should be getting : > and not : :
Regarding it appearing that I am quoting only the previous poster, I normally only do that anyway unless the thread dictates otherwise, but I don't see how it's misleading because I ensure I quote the names of the previous posters that I'm including, see the top of this message.
Ivor
| |
| wrote: | | [snip] | | : > | But what is the objection..? I just don't get it. | : > | I've been on Usenet for over 10 years and nobody has | : > | *ever* complained about this before. | : > | : > The fact that you are DOUBLE indenting makes it appear | : > that you have | : > quoted ONLY the quoting of the previous poster. It | : > doesn't matter if | : > the indenting is ": >" or ": :" or even "> >". It is | : > misleading. | | I put a space in, not a double indent. I have now modifed the system so it | puts a single : instead of converting the previous quote mark to a : which | it did before. So now you should be getting : > and not : :
There is a ": > " in front of the text I wrote that you quoted. That is TWO characters of intending. It is NOT converting the previous quote mark because there was no previous quote mark from me, other than for the text I quoted which has a "| " in front.
| Regarding it appearing that I am quoting only the previous poster, I | normally only do that anyway unless the thread dictates otherwise, but I | don't see how it's misleading because I ensure I quote the names of the | previous posters that I'm including, see the top of this message.
It is misleading because it appears you are responding to someone else that responded to me, and that someone else used "> " and then you used an additional ": ". You should choose BETWEEN ": " and "> ", but not have both combined.
[snip]
: There is a ": > " in front of the text I wrote that you : quoted. That is TWO characters of intending. It is NOT : converting the previous quote mark because there was no : previous quote mark from me, other than for the text : I quoted which has a "| " in front.
Ah, *finally* I see it. I am using OE with the QuoteFix addon and both were inserting quotemarks, OE was inserting a > and Quotefix the : so yes there were two quotemarks.
Hope this is ok now, many apologies to all for my obtuseness.
Ivor
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 01:56:04 -0000, "Ivor Jones"

Well done, Madge.
--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ http://www.pherber.com /

| | | [snip] | | : There is a ": > " in front of the text I wrote that you | : quoted. That is TWO characters of intending. It is NOT | : converting the previous quote mark because there was no | : previous quote mark from me, other than for the text | : I quoted which has a "| " in front. | | Ah, *finally* I see it. I am using OE with the QuoteFix addon and both | were inserting quotemarks, OE was inserting a > and Quotefix the : so yes | there were two quotemarks. | | Hope this is ok now, many apologies to all for my obtuseness.
Yes, it is OK now. Apology accepted.
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 21:06:17 -0000, "Ivor Jones"

A mere 10 years. I have been on Usenet since 1983. That is 25 years. It was 1978 when i got clued in to its existence. Shortly after i got my first email account.

You've got some real explaining to do! How'd you know about the existence of Usenet in 1978, when the guys who came up with it didn't do so until late in 1979? Hmmmmm.... :-)
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com

I went poking through the RFC's including 3977, 2980, and 1036. None of them specified a quoting character for Usenet. Can anyone find one that does?
| On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 21:06:17 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
| |>
|> wrote: |> |>: >> Nobody's forcing you to read my message. Which is |>: >> written in plain text, by the way. If you can't cope |>: >> with a simple : character in a bit of ASCII text, |>: >> tough. |>: > |>: > I think the only real issue is that ":" could appear |>: > naturally in a "plain text" email as it is a standard |>: > punctuation mark, ">" is far less likely though I |>: > suppose ": :" is unlikely too. |> |>But what is the objection..? I just don't get it. I've been on Usenet for |>over 10 years and nobody has *ever* complained about this before. |> |>Ivor | | I went poking through the RFC's including 3977, 2980, and 1036. None | of them specified a quoting character for Usenet. Can anyone find one | that does?
I have never seen one. That would suggest any character is allowed. The first indenting I ever saw was with ">" either with or without a space. The space isn't required, either. It seems most use a space following the character they use, so it could be considered customary. But without the space there isn't any misleading indications; it's just a tad bit harder to read, but not much (and others may find it the other way around). What is a problem is when someone indents the text in such a way that it looks like it was indented then indented again. It looks like such a poster is quoting someone who quoted someone else when in fact they are just merely quoting someone. It doesn't matter what character they are choosing.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

... snip ...

The following is a quote from 'son of RFC1036'.
"The order of arrival of news articles at a particular host depends somewhat on transmission paths, and occasionally articles are lost for various reasons. When responding to a previous article, posters SHOULD not assume that all readers understand the exact context. It is common to quote some of the previous article to establish context. This SHOULD be done by prefacing each quoted line (even if it is empty) with the character ">". This will result in multiple levels of ">" when quoted context itself contains quoted context."
[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:02:09 +0000 (GMT), Stuart

IIRC the RFC specifies that the quote marking character be in the first column. The rest of the line is then simple quoted unless the quoting level causes a word wrap. No big deal for me either way.
snipped-for-privacy@thisaddressis.invalid says...

This post typifies your attitude toward you reader. The question is, why do *you* bother writing if you have no interest in your reader?
--
Keith

krw wrote:

... snip misquoted stuff ...

Well, there have been detailed intelligent postings of reasons to comply, and postings of general malignancy, and I have avoided at least 1/2 of all that so far. I see no reason to retract my plonk so far. I wonder how many other plonkers there are out there.
[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
[snip]
: > Well, there have been detailed intelligent postings of : > reasons to comply, and postings of general malignancy, : > and I have avoided at least 1/2 of all that so far. I : > see no reason to retract my plonk so far. I wonder how : > many other plonkers there are out there.
Indeed.
Ivor

How about a little support besides your attitude.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

???
--
Keith

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 23:46:53 -0000, "Ivor Jones"

I am not having any problem with your posts, Keith's, or Floyd's.
A few irregular posters are producing posts that Agent does not seem to quote properly.
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:03:38 -0800, JosephKK

Who? Agent quotes the irregular characters fine for me, even using a (now quite) dated version but that doesn't mean we can chuck the standards which allow the most versatile use by _everyone_ . Remember that we're entering a new era of mobile devices that many not run WinTel platforms, may have limited processing, display, storage, etc. Standards are about compatiblity, not about "it's up to the other guy to work around what I'm doing that's nonstandard".

Can't say as it caused me any issues here except the fact of ": :" putting it down to the second level of quoting as if you had used "> >"
--
Stuart Winsor

From is valid but subject to change without notice if it gets spammed.
[snip]
: > Can't say as it caused me any issues here except the : > fact of ": :" putting it down to the second level of : > quoting as if you had used "> >"
Fixed. That *was* a misconfiguration ;-)
Ivor