induction motor power factor more than one

| Part of the problem we are having in communication is that of | engineering jargon. | | If pf is defined as cos(theta) where theta is the phase difference | between voltage and current phasors, then assigning positive pf to | inductive loads and negative pf to capacitive loads is mathematically | untenable.

I think what makes this hard is the notion that the "normal" case is defined as being 1 instead of defined (somehow) as being 0. One could construct a formula to make it be 0 for the non-reactive.

The problem is, it really is a circular situation. That is, the phase angle can be represented precisely as a vector that can be at any position in a circle. So really, PF is merely the real component of a complex value. So we need an additional imaginary value to account for the reactance and define the phase angle completely (in two dimensions). But for most scenarios it seems the PF is all that is needed.

I've always wondered what would happen on a shared neutral circuit if an almost pure inductive load was on one side, and an almost pure capacitive load was on the other side. Normally with resistive loads, or at least with loads of like reactance, the neutral would have only the imbalance current, which would be zero with identical loads. But in the case of inductive on one side and capacitive on the other, of equal current, the neutral is going to be getting double current (assuming single phase).

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

It is interesting to note that many, but not all, physicists usually use an exponential variation of form exp(-i*w*t) while most engineer use exp(j*w*t) to deal with sine waves. The first form will lead to negative reactance for inductors. I have also seen misinterpretations and errors as a consequence. I remember a case when someone was sure he had found a flaw in Maxwell's equation when calculating the phase shift of waves totally internally reflected in a prism. You are almost always going to land in hot water if you take equations at face value without understanding how they were derived.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

--------- But if the pf corresponds to cos (angle) as in the situation with single frequency sinusoids. then the phase angle is known- it can be one of two values. What is not known is whether the phase angle is in the upper or lower half of the unit circles and that is where "lead" or "lag" information is needed.

-------------------

Think of the worse situation that would occur if the neutral opened.

Reply to
Don Kelly

Don, what you're describing here is the 'sign' of the reactive load (VAR). Var load is 'generated' and supplied to loads. But the power factor (cos(theta) or W/VA) is positive for both lagging or leading load (positive or negative VAR load).

If one looks at the trigonometry of it, a 'negative power factor' would mean that you have a negative W (since VA can never be negative) and that would be power reversal (load becomes source).

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

--------------

Thanks, Salmon Egg caught me and I realize the error that I made and wrote lagging pf rather than lagging reactive as positive. The only excuses that I can offer are: I am a lousy proofreader -true. I had too much wine-also true.

I blew it.

Reply to
Don Kelly

SHAME SHAME. I NEVER make a blunder or a tipo. Bythe way, I have a sure investment with a 300% per annum return. Send me your account information so I can add you to my client list.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

------------------------- tipo?

Reply to
Don Kelly

That is a tiny typo. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

------------------- piti! :)

Reply to
Don Kelly

Well, you asked the question. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Another question, can I use your definition of tipo when I play "Balderdash" with my grandchildren? ;)

Reply to
Don Kelly

Try it, and see if they let you get away with it. ;)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell