Inline Power Meters for Computer Server?

Does anyone make a very small power meter for a computer server that will give me a constant spot reading on the power being used at the server (a simplistic calculation of watts is fine). I found something similar to this here:

But the problem with this is it is a wire on either end and I'll spend as much to create a custom cord for it as I would on the meter.

Ideally the device in question would expose a standard plug type on one side that could be adapted to the server, and a standard plug type on the other side of the meter that would go to the power distribution unit.

I would put these on dozens of servers and computers, and they would just be a handy way to get a spot reading on energy when working behind the servers.

I am NOT interested in large power distribution units with built in power measurements. I'm not trying to measure the power consumption of the entire power distribution unit (I already have that). I am trying to get spot readings on individual power supplies of individual servers, without having to hassle with logging into web interfaces or documenting every plug position on the PDU.

W-

Take a look at the P3 International "Kill A Watt". It plugs into a standard 120 VAC outlet, and has a female outlet on its front. It reads Voltage, Current, Watts, Volt-Amps, Frequency, Power Factor, Kilowatt Hours and Elapsed Time.

It should be less expensive than the one you found. You may find them on E-Bay, as well as at other on line dealers. At one time they were sold at Radio Shack.

You would also find one handy if you have an emergency power generator.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie