Is My Lamp Grounded?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:38:17 GMT, indago Gave us:

No shit.

This again proves my statement that two wire cords should be disallowed for any metallic framed device that operates from the AC line.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Really? I thought you couldn't count that high. However, the neutral is *NEVER* tied to the case. I don't care *how* many wires you have. That is *dangerous* and is likely to kill someone. What happens of some DimBulb wires hot and neutral backwards? ...or the neutral wire fails. You've just electrocuted some poor slob DimBulb!

Folks, DimBulb knows as much about electricity as he does about thermo and the EM spectrum. Never take his advice on anything. He's out to kill!

You obviously shouldn't be giving advice, electrical or otherwise.

Not as long as you're trying to kill people DimBulb! What a maroon! Stay away from electricity until you can at least rent a clue. Better yet, let others do the work. You're brain isn't capable.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

What an idiot! WHat you think should be done is irrelevant. The

*fact* is that metallic lamps are real and they're wired with two wire cords. Given the existence of these, the neutral is *never* connected to the case. Only a true DimBulb would suggest anything so stupid!
Reply to
Keith R. Williams

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:31:47 -0400, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Perhaps your lame ass should try constructing a valid response, dipshit.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Since you've clipped the part of the message that shows you to be wrong (and dangerous), this is an admission that you haven't a clue what you're doing. No surprise here.

If your are an engineer, you should turn in your credentials now and demand that the college you got them from lose their accreditation.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Keith, perhaps I'm fortunate, by I read Usenet posts using Google. Posts from "DarkMatter" NEVER appear on Google, perhaps to my advantage.

Evidently "DarkMatter" thinks so little of his own posts that he has set a 'no-archive' flag on them so they cannot be referenced or come back to haunt him in the future.

Of course another explanation for this lack of Google visibility could exist.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

-------------- Not really- your original case was that the frame of the lamp should be tied to neutral. No one will disagree that a 3 wire system is best but in the situation where a polarised (not phased) plug is used, with the usual lamp socket construction, and where such lamps are generally used, the isolated case will be safer than a situation where one side of the plug is tied to the lamp frame. Hence the NEC code.

-- Don Kelly snipped-for-privacy@peeshaw.ca remove the urine to answer

Reply to
Don Kelly

Yes, most people usually flush their DarkMatter down the toilet...

Reply to
indago

metallic lamp I have EVER examined. Try again.

Then every metallic lamp you have ever "examined" has been improperly wired, perhaps by someone as clueless as yourself. Ever notice the cardboard insulator sleeve inside a lamp socket? There to insulate the screw shell from the metal case, no?

drill was a two wire metallic cased affair, with one line connected to the shell.

Wrong again, DimBulb. Again, the metal case was allowed to float. The potential problem arose when a wire got pinched, or the motor windings shorted to the case. The case was NEVER intentionally connected to one side of the line! Nowadays, grounding cords are required on metal cased power tools to prevent shock in case of insulation failures like this.

Connecting the one side of the line to the chassis was common on transformerless radio and TV sets, but in those designs the case design insulated the metal chassis from user contact.

Bob Weiss N2IXK

Reply to
Bob Weiss

On 29 Sep 2003 13:43:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Bob Weiss) Gave us:

It is STILL a potential problem. Hence my statement that two wire cords on AC powered, metallic frame devices should ALL be banned.

If the hazard potential is there, it should be disallowed. Period.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On 29 Sep 2003 13:43:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Bob Weiss) Gave us:

No shit.

Reply to
DarkMatter

I actually AGREE with you there.

It is your ignorant (and potentiually lethal) statements about something as simple as the wiring of a floor lamp that people are calling your ass on. Funny how you keep trying to duck the subject...

Bob Weiss N2IXK

Reply to
Bob Weiss

Again, you're an idiot. Why do you think there is an *insulator* between the screw base and the lamp's outer metal shell? Hint: it's not because they're bonded together somewhere else.

Moron!

Phased? You've been corrected on this misuse terminology several times. It's a *POLARIZED* plug. It is a single "phase" system.

Good grief, learn *something*, DimBulb.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

You are.

He does.

It doesn't.

You'e right. He doesn't wish to be held accountable for his mouth. Note that he's had xnoarchive set in his previous pseudonyms (fatbytestard, tutamongus, and likely many others) as well.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

You are wrong. Your headers contain "X-No-Archive: yes" and that's why Google doesn't archive them.

All you have to do is to look at the headers in your own posts and then to search on "X-No-Archive: yes".

Reply to
Guy Macon

I object to the use of "maroon" as an insult.

Guy Macon

Take it up with Bugs. ;-)

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Have I ever treated you with disrespect? Why do you pollute a technical discussion with personal attacks? Why can't you just discuss how Google responds to "X-No-Archive: yes" without the namecalling?

"To prevent articles from being added to the Google Groups archive in the future, add 'X-No-Archive: yes' in the header of the article when you post. If your news posting software does not allow you to edit headers, type 'X-No-Archive: yes' as the first line of your post.

Source:

Guy Macon

And the three stooges! :)

Reply to
Guy Macon

I am an engineer. Opinions mean little to me. Please do the experiment you just described. If it turns out the way you say it will, I will be glad to tell everyone that you were right and I was wrong. On a related note, you made a claim that both contacts of a plug break together as you pull it out, and I described a simple experiment that shows whether you are correct or not. Did you do the experiment? What were the results?

I don't have to. I already am someone who knows. If you doubt it, do the experiment.

I don't think so, but nobody has perfect memory, so I may be wrong. Feel free to give me a message ID and I will be glad to tell everyone that you were right and I was wrong.

Reply to
Guy Macon