laptop detector sensor

Hello guys,

I've heard many cases of cars being broken into to steal laptops but the question that remains in my mind is, how to the thieves know there was a laptop in the car? is there a possibility of a sensor device that thieves can use to detect laptops?

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Su

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 05:11:00 -0700, Brian Su wrote (in article ):

  1. How many times do you read about "Car broken into, nothing stolen"? Probably not often, although it probably happens 100x more often. It's the news reporting that is statistically significant, here. You only hear about the break-ins that result in something being stolen.
  2. How many places in a car are there to hide a laptop? Surely it's easy to spot the strap from one of those ubiquitous carry-bags, sticking out from under a seat, or a car dc power supply for the laptop lying on the floor of the passenger seat.

Many times thieves hang out in parking garages and watch people put things in the trunk of their car that they don't want stolen. Quite an advertisement for "Hey, I've got a laptop, here!!!".

  1. If the thief did have such a detector, how could he determine the difference in received signal of a laptop from the several other computers (engine management; cruise control; security system; etc.) built-in to the car?

No, no such device.

Reply to
DaveC