LED Circuit question

I have a question.
I'm using 5-volts as a main supply, a 2N3904, 10k on the base, 500 ohms in series with a LED. The LED has approx. 2-volt drop and the negative side is
connected directly to the collector with the emitter grounded.
My circuit works fine, however, I expected a Vce of almost 0 volts. I measured the collector to ground and had about 2.4 volts.
Does anyone know why?
Thanks in advance.
Peter wrote:

Are you sure that it is 10k? Like, measured it?
What's the voltage across the 500 ohms?
--
Sue

I haven't had a chance to remeasure everything. I have a relay question I'll post in a new message.
Palindr☻me wrote:

And while you are at it try another 2N3904 or measure the gain of the one you've got.
PS. Make sure you haven't swapped E and C.
Benj