LED meter drivers

Hi there.

I am looking for and LED meter driver which operates based on a 0 to 12 volt squarewave. I want the number of LEDs to light up to be proportional to the frequency of the square wave. Ideal would be 15 outputs, but need not be excact. I have been looking in some catalogues, but I have a bit of trouble deciphering all those codes and stuff. If anyone can help me with some of this it would be appreciated. (Should be available from Britain btw).

I will be able to use a frequency converter.

If it matters: It is to be used in a car, in british weather conditions, Not to hot or cold.

Reply to
Thomas Stegen

Thomas Stegen wrote on 27/01/2004 :-

That is not a very well written specification, however....

Take a look at a frequency to voltage IC such as the 9400. On the voltage output of that you will need an LED bargraph IC. These allow for 8 LED's per IC and the display can be set either for single point lit or a solid bar. These IC's can be cascaded to produce 8, 16 or 24 LED diplays in a single bargraph.

It sounds as if you are trying to build a tachometer, if so beware that the voltage pulse at the ignition coil will require some conditioning before being fed into the 9400.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield