Levitton model 6124H timer - repeated failure of the blue Electroluminescent backlight

I have a situation where I am on my third replacement of a Levitton model 6124H timer because of the failure of the blue Electroluminescent backlight failing leaving the LCD panel difficult to read. Otherwise the unit has no other failures and switches its internal relay and external fan load reliably.

So far Levitton has been good, providing me a second unit under warranty. The QC department claims that pressure from the decorative (DECORA) trim is causing the panel to fail. I have this unit installed in a garage wall (backing an interior wall) inside a three gang box. The humidity in the garage is controlled by a small AC unit, and does climb a bit. Temperature is well within range.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Third replacement? Hint, hint, the product is junk, return it and buy one from a different manufacture. Also, Leviton isn't being good about it unless they're willing to pay the labor costs (or the equivalent thereof) to replace their multiple times failing product. Think of an Electrical Contractor that installs one of these and has to go back 3, 4, or more time to replace it. Not only has he made no money on the job, he has taken money out of his pocket to pay the labor, etc. costs to keep going back.

Reply to
Rich.

What sort of failure is it having? I've seen some electroluminescent nightlights get all splotchy, the only thing I can figure is they were contaminated during manufacture. I assume the panel is connected straight to the AC line rather than using a high frequency inverter?

Reply to
James Sweet

Which is why I posted here, I figured that if it is really problemamtic, an EC would be first to complain. In Levitton's defense, they have promised to send me one of their new style units if this one fails again. I like the style and function of this unit, it is just perplexing that the failure rate is so high in my installation.

Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY