magnetic stirrer

wrote:
|> Rotors/axial pumps (i.e. propeller blades) inside pipes with polyphase |> stators outside have been used for many years where it is important not to
|> break the integrity of the pipe- pumps for liquid sodium come to mind as |> an example(the pipe in the region has to be non conductive). The rotor |> /pump would have a frame and bearings to hold it in the center of the |> pipe. |> | | ISTR liquid sodium pumps didn't have any moving parts inside. Some | electrodes passed a current through the sodium while a magnetic field was | established outside the non-conductive pipe. Sort of a linear motor with | the sodium being the 'conductor'.
OTOH, the fluids I might be using (water, antifreeze, or oil) will not conduct very well.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

I'm sure it could be done. I've only ever opened up one of those things and it had a small shaded pole motor spinning a magnet under the platter.

Presumably a small horizontal circle of solenoids, each one positioned vertically so that one pole is uppermost and activated sequentially in diagonally opposite pairs of opposite polarity would do the trick.
The resulting motion of the stirring bar might be a bit jerky for low rpm.
Greg Neill wrote:

Some sort of coil around the periphery, out of the heat? Eric