Maybe stupid high voltage question

On 08 Feb 2004 16:54:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnono (Hobdbcgv) Gave us:

On the underside of an insulator, the drops would form on the low ends of the large discs which form the insulator shape. The valleys would have no water as the surface tension of water, and the gravity would break it as the water fell to the bottom of the discs. So there will always be a broken path.

By the way, most rain water is some pretty clean stuff. Probably has very low conductivity. Greater likelihood of ionizing a path in air.

Then, there is also the fact that the AC voltage drops to zero twice every cycle. That keeps ionization paths from forming.

Makes one wonder if the insulators on DC systems aren't even more pronounced creepage paths. Huge, long insulators, and longer reaching stand-offs.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On 08 Feb 2004 17:20:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) Gave us:

I used to work for a manufacturer of IR thermometers. I made the rifle stock fitted, 4" tube, gold mirror instrument that power companies used for over a decade to look at transformer and insulator temperatures from a distance.

This allows one to determine heavy leakage paths on "bad" insulators.

For transformers, it could spot overheated units before failure.

It had a rifle scope for a sighting method I used to make 4 or 5 a week. Now, they got laser sighted thermal imagers for the job. Technology is amazing! When I worked there (1987), our 4 fps (state of the art then) imager was $90,000. I liked the little LN bath cooled CCD chamber. It was a neat outfit!

Reply to
DarkMatter

how about Flash Overs from Janet Jackson,,,,,,(superbowl)......LoL

Reply to
KRINGLES JINGLES

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:21:57 -0600 (CST), KRINGLES_JINGLES snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (KRINGLES JINGLES) Gave us:

Those little points had a high gradient.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Rain water is clean? Have you ever looked at a black car after a small sprinkle?

Pure water does contain hydrogen ions (pH=7, and all that rot) and is thus conductive. It has a conductivity of a little less than .06 µS/cm (see reference below). Acid rain can have a conductivity of 2000 times that.

Rain is clean? Yikes! YOY do you insist on being so ignorant.

Keith R. Williams

...like your brain, too flabby.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

conductive path?

High voltage insulators for heavily contaminated areas, or areas near the sea, may have a semi-conducting glaze that allows a few milliamps of current to flow along the surface of the insulator, keeping it slightly warmer than ambient and thereby reducing condensation.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:28:34 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Wow... you rate a whole 13 on that response.

13 year old mentality, that is.
Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 14:29:55 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

If you think all rain is suddenly "acid rain" it is you that is nuts.

Reply to
DarkMatter

---------- Typical insulators have "skirts" on the underside - these are corrigations in the china or glass that is used. This results in some regions that are dry. In some areas, particularly where fog and or contamination is common, "fog" type insulators with deep skirts are used. The application of insulators depends on expected conditions. For example a 10 insulator string will have a wet strength (50% probability of breakdown based on 120 strings in parallel ) of about 400KV at 60 Hz . For heavy industrial contamination, this can drop to about 100KV. In such contaminated areas, routine insulator washing may be needed. (a small droplet size spray may be used). Part of the problem occurs when some sections are made conductive by water/contaminants and other sections are dry as then the electrical stress on the dry parts increases. In those cases a silicone coating which flows over and encapsulates particles may be used. A slightly conductive glaze may also help in that the voltage distribution along the insulator surface will be more uniform. For high voltage lines, statistical methods are used and include coordinated requirements for 60Hz withstand as well as lightning and switching surge withstand.

-- Don Kelly snipped-for-privacy@peeshaw.ca remove the urine to answer

Reply to
Don Kelly

Oh, you forgot about your statement that *water* (even though we were discussing *RAIN*) wasn't conductive. It certainly is, DimBulb (again that PH7 thing).

The OP was asking about insulators on power lines. None of which are exposed to acid rain, eh? DimBulb, you really ought to learn how to post (or at *least* how to use a search engine). Your ignorance is showing like a thong on a hairy plumber.

Game, set, and match. You're too stupid to be an engineer.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

There is some information. I suspected that the power engineers in these areas weren't stupid. What about the freezing areas where ice is a problem? Do they power up lines to bust ice?

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

In some cases, it's at least theoretically possible (but very difficult to do intentionally). Some of the transmission lines in my area are overloaded and operate near their thermal rating of 100 degrees C. (That's the boiling point of water). Hot enough to melt ice but it mostly happens in summer though...

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 21:57:33 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Considering that I never said "none of which are exposed to acid rain", or that acid rain never touches anything, I'd say that your troll, wussy boy ass is the one that needs to do some learning here, you retarded twit!

First you need to stick to the facts, and stop convoluting everything people post. Oh... that's right, you are a retarded troll f*ck... that is what you live for. Too bad, dipshit. That kaka doesn't work here in the real world.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Yeah but you don't see any ice, do ya?

(That HOT!)

Reply to
John Gilmer

No, you moron, you stated that *water* was not conductive, which it most certainly is. You didn't even have the intelligence to figure out that semiconductor-grade DI water wasn't falling on the power-line insulators, disguised as "rain". You claimed that "rain is clean", yeah right! I gave you a link to a site that showed that you're FOS. As usual, you're too lazy to look up readily available information so you continue to talk through your nether-regions.

Nope, no convolutions. It's a simple play-back. If you weren't so chicken-shit you'd allow archiving so others can see how

*stupid* you really are.

You really are a weak excuse for DNA. Your momma must be proud of her BrownMatter.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Yeah, I would guess that 100C was enough to melt ice. ;-) But what happens in the great-white north when serious ice forms? Yes, I live in the frozen north, but other than lake ice shifting a decade ago we haven't seen the big lines fall. What about ND, Montana, and that area? There must be some long lines that are exposed to ice. Perhaps the ice is further south?

Interesting.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams