PLEASE Help with furnace motor - brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hi all. I just bought a new G.E. single phase 1/2hp, 115V, 1725rpm motor for my furnace blower. Installed and wired it up ok but I need to reverse rotation. The label says to swap two wires at the jumper terminals (red and black) and when I do this, the motor does turn in the opposite direction but only for a few seconds before it shuts down, after which it picks up again and continues this cycle.

Am I missing something here or do I just have a bad motor?

Thanks in advance for any help, the hardware stores are all closed and it's cold outside!

FG

Reply to
Frank

Call a qualified HVAC tech!

Am I missing something here or do I just have a bad motor?

Thanks in advance for any help, the hardware stores are all closed and it's cold outside!

FG

Reply to
Me

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Hey Anthony, thanks for taking the time and showing some compassion, something Mr. "me" didn't.

I got the problem fixed. After bench testing the motor and finding nothing wrong, I searched and found a mechanical problem (motor not coming up to speed fast enough) which was remedied by reducing belt tension and using a smaller motor-end pulley.

Peace, FG

Reply to
Frank

I think this is the point that "Me" was making.

You replaced your worn out motor with a motor that fails to supply the same amount of air without going off on overload. So the cure was to lower the air flow.

I suppose that if your A/C compressor becomes hard to start you could just remove some of the refrigerant.

Call a tech

Reply to
Terry

I have to agree with Terry. If you have changed the air flow, you now could have created a problem with the furnace or the AC.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Actually...he did. You see...read below.

So, you replaced the motot that you had with the EXACT same rating as before? You put a new cap on there too?? If all you did was pull the belt sheave off, and put it back on the new motor, used a straightedge to properly line the belt pulleys, and you did not change the sheave.....you still have a problem. By lowering the CFM across your heat exchanger, you have changed the operation characteristics of the furnace, and perhaps, none for the better. By trying to save $100, you might have just cost yourself a grand. But....a pro would have known that....this one does.

Reply to
CBhvac

"Remove some refrigerant"?!? Oh my God, what are you smoking?