name of flexible wire wound round core of threads

terminals I

The problem with wire-bound eyelets is that the profile is effectively a point contact and the screw will work loose in mobile applications. I used to use spring (not shakeproof) washers when I could find them in the right size, failing which a shakeproof over a flat washer would do. But the spring was best.
John
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:46:45 +0100, "John Nice" <johnDOTniceATbtinternetDOTcom> wrote:
:
: :> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 21:41:33 +0100, "John Nice" :> <johnDOTniceATbtinternetDOTcom> :> wrote: : :<snip>> :Before I had access to a crimping tool and the correct F-crimp :terminals I :> :used thin tinned copper wire. I would bind the tinsel, thread and all, :> with :> :the Cu wire, form it round a screw of the correct size, then put a few :> turns :> :round the part where I started. Remove the screw it was formed round and :> :solder the ring up. PROVIDED you use a spring washer under the screw :> you'll :> :get an excellent connection. :> : :> :John :> : :> :> Spring washers (I assume you mean serrated shakeproof washers)are never a :> good :> idea either directly under or on top of wire bound terminal eyelets. Where :> occasional removal of the screw is required the serrated teeth will easily :> damage the wire binding and shred the terminal eyelet. Ever since wire :> binding :> of tinsel has been used, and I have seen many examples going back to the :> 1920's, :> the only type of washer recommended to be placed in contact with the bound :> eyelet is a simple flat type (preferably nickel plated). A serrated :> shakeproof :> washer can be used under the screw head on top of the flat washer to :> prevent the :> screw loosening due to vibration. :> :The problem with wire-bound eyelets is that the profile is effectively a :point contact and the screw will work loose in mobile applications. I used :to use spring (not shakeproof) washers when I could find them in the right :size, failing which a shakeproof over a flat washer would do. But the :spring was best. : :John :
There is nothing to stop you using a flat washer on top of the bound eyelet and then a spring washer under the head of the screw. The screw will definitely not come loose due to vibration provided you do it right.

You probably need to chemically strip it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire
Bob