name of flexible wire wound round core of threads

The problem with wire-bound eyelets is that the profile is effectively a point contact and the screw will work loose in mobile applications. I used to use spring (not shakeproof) washers when I could find them in the right size, failing which a shakeproof over a flat washer would do. But the spring was best.

John

Reply to
John Nice

:> Spring washers (I assume you mean serrated shakeproof washers)are never a :> good :> idea either directly under or on top of wire bound terminal eyelets. Where :> occasional removal of the screw is required the serrated teeth will easily :> damage the wire binding and shred the terminal eyelet. Ever since wire :> binding :> of tinsel has been used, and I have seen many examples going back to the :> 1920's, :> the only type of washer recommended to be placed in contact with the bound :> eyelet is a simple flat type (preferably nickel plated). A serrated :> shakeproof :> washer can be used under the screw head on top of the flat washer to :> prevent the :> screw loosening due to vibration. :>

:The problem with wire-bound eyelets is that the profile is effectively a :point contact and the screw will work loose in mobile applications. I used :to use spring (not shakeproof) washers when I could find them in the right :size, failing which a shakeproof over a flat washer would do. But the :spring was best. : :John :

There is nothing to stop you using a flat washer on top of the bound eyelet and then a spring washer under the head of the screw. The screw will definitely not come loose due to vibration provided you do it right.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I had several pairs of headphones and a pair of PTT telephone handsets with "Fig 11" terminations" The handsets were originally supplied with an odd looking 4 pin un-enclosed Bakelite connector. From memory it looked like this

Graham.