NEC 2005 Handbook

For a .pdf of the NEC 2005 Handbook, National Electric Code Tenth Edition (no password needed), Use this ed2k link:

ed2k://|file|2005_NEC_Handbook(National%20Electrical%20Code_%20NFPA).pdf |17460132|BE9758679E82FED70ED86AEF407245D6|h=UMDAHFKUTTRRKS25H2NPD5PDTTQ YBGLB|/|sources,65.27.28.213:4662|/

(If word wraping introduced carriage returns at the end of the lines, fix them.)

If you don't know how to use the link:

Nehmo

Doesn't seem to work for me.

Reply to
Pat

Explain where you are having the problem. Here's the link again: ed2k://|file|2005_NEC_Handbook(National%20Electrical%20Code_%20NFPA).pdf|17460132|BE9758679E82FED70ED86AEF407245D6|h=UMDAHFKUTTRRKS25H2NPD5PDTTQYBGLB|/

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

It's another file sharing system like napster was.

NFPA has been pretty protective of their copyrights, wouldn't expect the link to last long ;-)

At least IEEE has become more generous with standards they maintain. I guess the insurance companies need the income ;-)

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

And this is theft pure and simple. You are stealing a copyrighted work.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

If you have the .pdf format of NEC book could you please post it to

the .pdf file is too big you might have to spilt them before posting. I have this site on NEC which gives a very good insight about NEC.
oyemadi

Reply to
oyemadi

- Matt -

- Nehmo - An ed2k link is just an MD4 file hash, a short, almost unique, description of the file, and it's difficult to make different file that will produce the same hash. Thus, if you find a file that produces the hash of a file you want, then the found file is very likely to be the one you want.

you have properly-configured eMule as a client, you can click on an ed2k link (or place the link in a certain window), and the client will begin downloading parts of the file from various sources. It is not illegal to post such a file description, an MD4 hash, nor even have a site with numerous such descriptions.

It's not theft, it's not simple, and the so-called copyright is highly debatable. It isn't even honored in a major federal jurisdiction, the Fifth Circuit

. I'll quote one Fifth Circuit line:
"that when a copyrighted standard or code is referenced into law (particularly if it thereby becomes "the law"), the developer cannot enforce its copyright against a free distribution of the standard. "

The implication is, because of the Supreme Court's certiorari denied, that a similar cases for free access would succeed in the other circuits.

Anyway, we already discussed this. Do you have some new material to add, or do you just want to complain again?

Reply to
Nehmo

: If you don't know how to use the link: :

Because this is nothing but a shameless effort to get people to use emule; all it leads to is essentially an index page for part of the emule site.

What they really want you to do is download emule, and then use IT to get what isn't really going to be available by that time, surprise surprise. Google shows this identical email and variants of it spread all over the newsgroups - a pretty serious and pre-meditated spamming/scamming effort.

I'm surprised so many people would think it could be done and actually tried the hash, which was purported to be a URL. Doing something like that would be the last thing they did before being tanked. Bait & switch comes to mind, following scam, spam and a couple other words.

Reply to
Pop

The NEC is a voluntary standard. It is NOT law! Some jurisdictions adopt it, others don't. Show where the NEC has been challenged in court and found to be public domain.

Ben Miller

Reply to
Ben Miller

Can you show us were the NEC has prevailed in a code/copyright dispute?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

You got it backwards. NFPA is entitled to the copyright by law, unless it is successfully challenged.

See

Here are some excerpts:

When is my work protected? Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected? No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section "Copyright Registration."

Reply to
Ben Miller

ed2k://|file|2005_NEC_Handbook(National%20Electrical%20Code_%20NFPA).pdf |17460132|BE9758679E82FED70ED86AEF407245D6|h=UMDAHFKUTTRRKS25H2NPD5PDTTQ YBGLB|/

- Pop -

- Nehmo - Nobody said it was a URL. I described it as a ed2k link, which is what it is.

- Pop -

- Nehmo - You don?t realize how ridiculous you sound, Pop. Research the subject a bit, and read my previous posts in this thread.

- Pop -

- Nehmo - Now, that, the one that begins with http *is* a URL. It?s clearly the eMule project site, which is very well known.

- Pop -

- Nehmo - Please post the search you are talking about.

- Pop -

- Nehmo - The file is a simple .pdf . If you?re worried about downloading pdf?s , You are welcome to not do it. Moreover, the file can?t be switched because then it would have a different hash. That?s how P2P works nowadays.

Reply to
Nehmo

Yeah, but has the NEC brought suit? And Prevailed? Laws, in general, don't mean shit until it goes to court.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I pasted it into my browser and got The page cannot be displayed

Reply to
Pat

Ed2k links don't work that way. You have to have eMule or some similar app; there's a few. You can get eMule from

setup is complicated, but accepting the defaults (notice where the files will go) will work fine. Read the FAQ pages; post questions to one of the P2P forums, or post to news:alt.internet.p2p web version:
you have eMule, either Tools > Paste eD2K links > then paste the link in the box > Download button or just click on the link (but that might not work for you)

Torrents, and multiple newsgroup postings with split rar files are faster than ed2k links, but I this method is more widely understood. Besides, a valid ed2k link is pretty much permanent.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Ben Miller

- Nehmo - In any case, if you want a free copy of the Handbook, you now should know how to get it.

Reply to
Nehmo

- Ben Miller -

- Nehmo - "voluntary"? Can I ignore it when I do electrical work? If you're saying the state is acting voluntarily, that's meaningless.

- Ben Miller -

- Nehmo - I quoted the 5th Circuit decision with the relevant concept, and I posted a link to a site about it

. When a code is adopted, it becomes "law" in the jurisdiction where it's adopted. "...Supreme Court need not reconsider a June 10, 2002 decision of United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (293 F.3d 791 (5th Cir. 2002)). The Fifth Circuit had concluded that SBCCI retains the copyright in its standard, but that "[w]hen those codes are enacted into law ... they become to that extent 'the law' of the governmental entities and may be reproduced or distributed as 'the law' of those jurisdictions." The Fifth Circuit further observed that laws are not subject to federal copyright law, and "public ownership of the law means that 'the law' is in the 'public domain' for whatever use the citizens choose to make of it."

Reply to
Nehmo

- oyemadi -

Yousendit sure is a slow system. It worked for me before, but it's choking today. It's a primitive method to send a large file. The only reason to use it is that it's simple.

I just emailed it (3 RAR files, Gmail caps at 10 MB) to you. I used the addy you use when you post. un-rared pdf = 16.6 MB (17,460,132 bytes). You'll need WinRAR

to unpack.

After this, get up to speed and learn how to use a P2P app. Also learn how to download form binary newsgroups, and how to use torrents. Get started here:

Nehmo

Because Nehmo is, IMO, an accomplished thief and assumes others are as well.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

It is in Minnesota, specifically listed by reference

Some jurisdictions adopt it,

Reply to
hob