Need advice on a dog deterrent

Our dog likes to raid the waste baskets and chew up the contents. Can anyone suggest how to rig up a device which will go in the waste basket and give him a mild shock as a deterrent? Thanks.

Rick Kohn

Reply to
Rick Kohn

Dogs live thru their noses (think: bloodhound; bitch in heat). An olfactory-based deterrent would be easier an more effective,

't-like+smell+OR+scent+vinegar+OR+marigolds+OR+citronella+-urine

Reply to
JeffM

Pick up some of those "safe mousetrap" training aids from a pet store. Place in the waste basket on top of the contents. The other alternative is to use a covered waste basket where practical.

Reply to
cruff

I had a female Samoyed that would pull anything out of the garbage. I used baited mouse traps. Slowed her down a little. Finally just used a 20 gallon steel trash can in the panty. She got into a porcupine on a camping trip. 4 times in one evening. I guess the guy could not get away from her. I finally put her on a tag line.

Reply to
SQLit

Look on Ebay for "Scat Mat". Put one where the dog will have to step on it to get to the can. After a few days, you can turn it off.

Reply to
Steve Cothran

a lid

sorry i dont think you wanted to hear that

a lid would be a deterent

Reply to
TimPerry

Thank all you for your suggestions. But I was hoping for an idea for an electrical gizmo. Come on, you electrial folks, get creative!! ;-)

Rick Kohn

Reply to
Rick Kohn

Some times you need an electrical device, other times you just need a rolled up newspaper...

Reply to
me

Get one of those doggie shock perimeter training collars and place the boundary transmiter inside the garbage can or closing off the kitchen};-) all poor woofy needs a lesson in domestic manners };-o

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

mount infra red motion sensor to wastebasket.

tripping sensor activates electric hoist that raises basket to above doggie height.

wall switch defeats operation or lowers for emptying.

patent pending e-mail for license

lid optional extra

Reply to
TimPerry