NEMA 10-20R wiring

I have a dual-voltage 110 / 220V welder that comes with a NEMA 10-20 plug and a separate frame-grounding clamp. Wiring diagrams for the 10-20R
receptacle show the angled blades connected to hot wires with a 250V potential, and the vertical blade connected to the common conductor. How does one wire the receptacle for 110V? Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@chicagowoodturners.org wrote:

george snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Abuse reported...
--
Keith

george snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 21:45:51 GMT snipped-for-privacy@chicagowoodturners.org wrote:
| I have a dual-voltage 110 / 220V welder that comes with a NEMA 10-20 plug | and a separate frame-grounding clamp. Wiring diagrams for the 10-20R | receptacle show the angled blades connected to hot wires with a 250V | potential, and the vertical blade connected to the common conductor. How | does one wire the receptacle for 110V? Thanks!
You would have to switch to a NEMA 5-50 plug and bring in a 40 amp circuit to operate this unit on 120 volts. You are better off sticking with 240 volts.