Seek cheap mains generator to use in garage

I am in the UK. I am looking for a cheap mains generator to use in my garage. I want to use devices such as power hand tools, vacuum cleaner,
lamps, battery charger, etc.
ISTR that someone recently posted that there are some small generators available in the UK for as little as 100.
Unfortunately I can't find anything available for less than about 300.
Can anyone advise me please. I would guess I need a supply of about 1,200 to 1,500 Watts.
try cpc they are currently selling a 720watt generator for less than 50 they may have others.

720W? So it's not even 3 amps. Not worth a piss.
--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.
Thus spaketh Conor:

Probably 720W at 230V so wouldn't that be slightly over 3A?
--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

as I said they may have others but thanks for giving me a piece of your mind. Just a shame you can't really spare it.
But I guess that makes it all the more generous of you.
thanks
Andy wrote:

There are lots of new ones at around 650VA - 850VA at even less than 50GBP. Two stroke, of course. I have one of these as even I can lift and carry it. I take it with me when I borrow a friend's canal boat.
But I got a second hand 2.5KVA petrol 4 stroke from a local tool hire company for under 100GBP. It was pretty bashed around but works very well. It weighs an absolute ton (not quite literally), so it stays where it sits and is there for any really serious loss of power in the area.
--
Sue

Andy wrote:

Generator *outside* the garage, I hope you mean.
Owain
Costco in sheffield are doing a SIP 1000 watt jobby for i think 140.00 engine is 4 stroke and looks like a honda but isn't ! The Chinese clones are getting good!
Dilbert

Dilbert wrote:

george snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

george snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

saying something like:

There's a lot of them around mis-labelled as being bigger than they are, so watch out.
--

Dave

www.screwfix.com
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 0310&tsa547&idB248
720 watt. I think you'll struggle to get much more for under 100.
eBay is worth a try - you can get 850w for 69 + 13 p&p. (buy it now).
On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 19:40:53 GMT, Andy wrote:

Small 750W +/- 100W two stroke generators can be had for 50 to 80. One this small might struggle with a decent sized power tool, motors need a fair bit of 'umph to start them. A reasonable rule of thumb is rated power x 2, X 3 to be sure particulary if there is any other load on the generator.
For cheap chinese generators look in Aldi (or Lidl?), Makro if you are or can be a member, eBay normally has loads. I'd expect a 2kVA four stroke to be about 150. Genuine Honda engine carries a price tag, so does Briggs & Stratton but not quite as big.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

www.ebay.co.uk
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Generator-ES3500_W0QQitemZ280045133520QQihZ018QQcategoryZ632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or for the full search
http://buy.ebay.co.uk/generator or
http://home-garden.search.ebay.co.uk/generator_DIY-Tools_W0QQsacatZ631
i would only but one that i can collect though
Andy wrote:

Makro do a 1.9kVA diesel one - a bit more than £100 IIRC, but less than £200
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 22:52:54 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

I've wondered about that one, not really big enough for my needs and the effciency of small diesels isn't that good or so I've heard. Of course not being a road vehicle you could run it on red diesel so prehaps the effciency, as far as the wallet is concerned, isn't quite so important.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

makro always seem to have ones in for less than 200. Sometimes a diesel 2.4kw for this.

is there any "makro`s" in the uk?

Several - I take it you haven't bothered to google prior to asking ?
http://www.makro.co.uk/ie/sub/store_locations.cfm?&news_menu=enabled