Seek cheap mains generator to use in garage

I am in the UK. I am looking for a cheap mains generator to use in my
garage. I want to use devices such as power hand tools, vacuum cleaner,
lamps, battery charger, etc.
ISTR that someone recently posted that there are some small generators
available in the UK for as little as £100.
Unfortunately I can't find anything available for less than about £300.
Can anyone advise me please. I would guess I need a supply of about
1,200 to 1,500 Watts.
Reply to
Andy
try cpc they are currently selling a 720watt generator for less than £50 they may have others.
Reply to
Big Mc
There are lots of new ones at around 650VA - 850VA at even less than 50GBP. Two stroke, of course. I have one of these as even I can lift and carry it. I take it with me when I borrow a friend's canal boat.
But I got a second hand 2.5KVA petrol 4 stroke from a local tool hire company for under 100GBP. It was pretty bashed around but works very well. It weighs an absolute ton (not quite literally), so it stays where it sits and is there for any really serious loss of power in the area.
Reply to
Palindr☻me
Generator *outside* the garage, I hope you mean.
Owain
Reply to
Owain
Costco in sheffield are doing a SIP 1000 watt jobby for i think 140.00 engine is 4 stroke and looks like a honda but isn't ! The Chinese clones are getting good!
Dilbert
Reply to
Dilbert

720 watt. I think you'll struggle to get much more for under £100.
eBay is worth a try - you can get 850w for £69 + £13 p&p. (buy it now).
Reply to
Schrodinger
Reply to
george_corinne
Small 750W +/- 100W two stroke generators can be had for =A350 to =A380.= One this small might struggle with a decent sized power tool, motors need a =
fair bit of 'umph to start them. A reasonable rule of thumb is rated power x 2, X 3 to be sure particulary if there is any other load on the =
generator.
For cheap chinese generators look in Aldi (or Lidl?), Makro if you are o= r can be a member, eBay normally has loads. I'd expect a 2kVA four stroke =
to be about =A3150. Genuine Honda engine carries a price tag, so does Briggs & Stratton but not quite as big.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

or for the full search

i would only but one that i can collect though
Reply to
bongo
Makro do a 1.9kVA diesel one - a bit more than £100 IIRC, but less than £200
Reply to
John Rumm
makro always seem to have ones in for less than 200. Sometimes a diesel 2.4kw for this.
Reply to
EricP
I've wondered about that one, not really big enough for my needs and the= effciency of small diesels isn't that good or so I've heard. Of course not being a road vehicle you could run it on red diesel so prehaps the effciency, as far as the wallet is concerned, isn't quite so important.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
is there any "makro`s" in the uk?
Reply to
bongo
Several - I take it you haven't bothered to google prior to asking ?
Colin Wilson
Reply to
george_corinne
The cheap generators are usually about 700watt, you will not get a 1,500watt for 100GBP unless it is used/second hand. Typical prices here:
. A 1,500watt generator will struggle to power a 1500watt vacuum cleaner. You need at least 2000watt.
Reply to
Codswallop
Unfortunately yes.
Reply to
Andy Hall
Makro do a 2,300Watt 13amp petrol generator for £100 + vat and a 1,900 Watt 16amp triple voltage (12v, 110v, 240v) diesel for £180 + vat
Reply to
SoWeezy
720W? So it's not even 3 amps. Not worth a piss.
Reply to
Conor
Thus spaketh Conor:
Probably 720W at 230V so wouldn't that be slightly over 3A?
Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}