On-off switch

I am the OP. Just to clarify ....

There are several ready-built gadgets available on the high street here in the UK to record a phone conversation. They cost little and provide an audio feed from a jack plug which can go straight into a basic voice-activated recorder. Simple. Cheap.

So if I actually wanted to record a phone line I would use something like that. Perfectly legal too.

However I have asked about something different. I want to switch an electrical device on when the landline is in use. My question is how to attach to the landline. Something non-invasive is better and I suggested a magnetic switch. If it has to be a plug-in device then that's ok although it limits the location of the point of attachment to only where the sockets are.

Reply to
Jim

Nice product. Unfortunately I am in the UK and this is sold in the US.

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Jim

It is often illegal to attach things to a telephone line but then that is also often ignored.

The indicator circuits should be easily adapted to drive a relay instead of a light. The tricky (for a beginner) part is to detect the drop in line voltage when the line goes OFF Hook.

-- John G.

Reply to
John G

You sit in the dark waiting for phone calls?

I suspect there are already purpose-built devices that can do the same.

I haven't alleged that you are pursuing any particular application for this, though it may be related to your quest to capture callers numbers as per your other thread.

Are you referring to the post by "Lemmo?" in which case how would I know that Lemmo == Jim? Otherwise, this is the only reply by "Jim" that I've seen.

I'm actually not interested in the law (though I've always understood that all parties should be aware that a recording is being made, unless you belong to the security forces).

Well, you didn't identify yourself as the OP, nor have you said they are the actual application.

Well that was exactly my point. What is it that you are planning to do with this device? I haven't said you are trying to pursue some unsavoury application of the technology, I have just expressed an opinion that such applications exist and I wouldn't assist this quest for information without knowing the actual application.

Quite honestly I can't imagine any of my friends or associates having a need for such a device and I would be concerned about them if they did ask me. I have no doubt that there are legitimate and benevolent uses for such a device, just as there are malevolent uses. It's the first time I've been described as having a paranoid outlook, somewhat ironical perhaps given your quest in another to log peoples phone numbers?

If I were a landlord, I might use such technology to spy on my tenants, If I were an employee I might use such technology to spy on the company If I were a jealous husband I might spy on my wife

Those are three applications I wouldn't wish to help anyone with. As for others who have been helpful, I don't consider that a good role model considering the possible repurcussions to others if this technology were misused.

I still have little idea why you want this technology and again I personally wouldn't help anyone construct such stuff without knowing more about the application (which from your other post may be logging callers numbers)..

You can clearly state your intention, I just hope that people will consider what they are helping someone to do. If you weren't so coy about this I wouldn't have posted.

It may well be that given the exact application you had in mind people might have been able to suggest a more targeted solution.

What is it you are trying to do?

Reply to
On Web

"On Web" wrote in news:Kntdi.1163$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net:

You can record for your own private use, without giving notice. This is equivalent to having an excellent memory or taking detailed private notes, which also is not a crime.

Anything involving third parties is usually a matter of consent by both people in conversation, or of officially warranted interception.

Consent can be tacit, in that if an employer records phone calls for business purposes, they cannot be found guilty if an employee decides to complain at the recording of a private call they decided to make out of their employer's phone system, unless they can demonstrate that they had no grounds to beleive a recording was being made.

This is based on what I know of UK law. Beyond that it gets too subtle for me. :)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

No, but see the other thread by Jim.

There are plenty of legal things I don't think people should do and there are plenty of illegal things people do regardless of the law.

You have the intended context wrong. I was thinking in terms of jury rigging equipment - adapting/customising it if you wish, certainly not a use of the word jury in a legal sense.

Well clearly I can't police people morality, neither do I or anyone else have to aid people either.

The commercial availability of things has no bearing on their final application.

Reply to
On Web

"John G" wrote in news:467661de$0$22441$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

In the UK it is legal, if it is done on the user's side of the master socket. Terminals are often provided for the user to do exactly this. There are guidelines to follow though, and the phone company has the last word. If they take issue with something, it must be removed or changed to a form they accept.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

you are bizarre

Reply to
Anusol Man

Maybe. Good luck with the french batteries.

Reply to
On Web

I am the OP. I haven't encountered Mr On Web before but not only are is remarks bizarre but they contain enough innuendo to make them offensive.

Reply to
Jim

This seems far more likely than the bizarre things you suggest.

-- snip --

-- snip --

I have corrected your misunderstanding once already and given you a link (above) to check up the details. It seems that a sneerer like you prefer to carry on with the sneering and false innueundos than read the facts.

Then do not feel you have to help. As I pointed out, you do not even have to post if you havenothing of value to add to this thread.

Even the most innocuous thing can be misused. My bread knife can be used to kill. Someone can drown in a bathful of water. An electric bar fire can be used to burn someone. An electric drill can be used to maim someone. A car tyre & petrol can be used to burn someone to death.

Despite these horros, we stillmanage to live with these appliances. I don't get asked stupid questions when I buy a car tyre or run a bath and it would be better if you didn't ask them either.

There are any number of things which one might want to switch on when a phone call is being made. It's probably best if you stop being coy and accustory through adopting that false facade of innocence. "I only pointed out that it was possible that the OP could electrocute the cat and also activate the microwave in which his puppy was placed and then destroy the building by a timed fuse on some explosives and do all this by remotely calling his phone line and having the call trip his deadly switch". Get real.

I am setting something up to ensure safety for someone in the household who is suffering trauma and I do not feel I need to go into the details.

Reply to
Jim

lots of snips..

Then I wish you luck with it, whatever it is. I can't help but feel that for whatever your trying to accomplish there's a more direct route to the solution, and no I don't want to know any more, I'm done with this.

Reply to
On Web

So after saying that you, oooooh, couldn't possibly help unless you were able to know more and more of situation (to the point of almost prying into a third party's distress) you now say you have nothing to offer?

So why waste everybody's time while you kept needling away at what is obviously an uncomfortable situation for someone I know. And then you declare that, "oh well if that's the case, it is too serious or too delicate" for people like youself to be involved.

Are you some sort of master time waster? Or someone who tries to create distress?

Perhaps you didn't know anything helpful in the first place? Maybe you just pretended to gave something to say and just wanted to take on a very loud and overlbearing moral tone in the hope that people like myself who have a genuine need to seek info will be intimidated by your sniping?

Would it be asking too much to either contribute something as asked in the original post or not to make any further remarks about how innocent and correct you are.

Reply to
Jim

I was really concerned about what was planned for this device since there are many improper uses for such a device and it is very, very unusual to need any kind of phone triggered device. I still struggle with this a bit. Knowing that there are inappropriate uses to the technology I really don't know why you're so angry that I've had a concern about the final application.

Throughout the thread you have been secretive about what you planned to do with such a device. If this was a straightforward application you probably would have told us all about it by now.

If this is related to your attempt to capture callers numbers, then I suspect you may be dissappointed - it's easy to withold a number from nuisance calls and you'd have to involve the authorities to capture the real number.

You've already had a load of suggestions from other posters.

I've raised my concerns, you've half explained why you are pursuing this - it's time to move on.

If this is really required to aid a family member, concentrate on them and consider if this route is really the best form of action.

Reply to
On Web

What impropers uses could there be in all reality? Only someone who wants to live on the margins of real-world probability would dream up some weird use and think that to be the most likely.

Archiving CLID numbersis one thing and switching a device when the line is in use is another.

So what on earth are you talking about?

If I wanted to capture callers' numbers I would use a CLID machine but why would switching have anything to do with that?

And a lot of strange stuff from you.

In other words, you have nothing to offer.

Don't bother to make a display of your crocodile tears.

Reply to
Jim