QFN packages

This is a very noob question but I'm going to ask anyways.

I'm looking at using an IC that only comes in a QFN package - any ideas if its feasible it would be to mount that on a home-printed pcb? Can you get sockets for them?

Thanks,

Reply to
James

Check out Bellin Dynamic Systems at

They make surface mount to through hole adapters for a wide variety of SMD's including QFN. Carried by Jameco.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Sure, with a decent rework station or even just a good electronically controlled hot air gun. With a less good (tm) one it would take more practice and you might ruin some stuff.

You can get sockets for just about any package, but the cost might be prohibitive. I'd be surprised if they were much less than $100-150 US apiece.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

In sci.electronics.misc James wrote: : This is a very noob question but I'm going to ask anyways.

: I'm looking at using an IC that only comes in a QFN package - any ideas if : its feasible it would be to mount that on a home-printed pcb? Can you get : sockets for them?

Often QFN packages are high power and rely on the bottom pad being soldered to a ground plane also for thermal reasons. A socket will defeat that purpose.

I soldered recently a TPS40052 with solder paste and reflow to a homemade" PCB. Had to remove three shorts with unsolder litz, but things worked.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Bonnes